different core temps

Reaction score
Hi windwithme, awesome post :cheers:

i just got one i3 3220 for my budget gaming pc, but i have a "situation"

the CPU works fine but the other day i was checking the temperature, and i notice that the difference between core0 and core1 is too big.

CoreTemp-Scr_zps7dfc72c1.png

the room temperature is about 15-17c and sometime the core1 goes down to 13c and core0 up to 40 all this at idle....is that normal?

at full load core0 is at 51c and core1 at 46...using the hyper212 cooler, but i did try the cpu with the stock fan and the temps are almost the same

in another forum someone told me that maybe the motherboard wasn't reading the temps right, but yesterday i put the i3 on the Asrock B75M motherboard of my brother and the temps are the same, so if something is wrong it has to be on the CPU right?...

any ideas?? :confused:

the i3 is brand new from amazon and i'm using Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I moved your post, you needed to start a new thread for your specific problem, not tag on the end of a review. You'll get a better response that way. :)

In answer to your question ...

Your core temp difference is almost certainly normal, IMHO, you don't have a problem. Don't forget, each core is basically an individual processor, and they usually operate individually from each other. A running program will usually use only one of the cores.

Your CPU will not overheat, it'll just thermal throttle, or, shut down. Fortunately, that has nothing to do with the crappy thermal sensor. :)

further reading

:user:

Reaction score
Thanks for that explanation Mr Mucks I wondered how multil core CPU's worked I thought they must share the load so to speak and not each core running a single program:bow:you live and learn on this site:thumb:

Reaction score
I moved your post, you needed to start a new thread for your specific problem, not tag on the end of a review. You'll get a better response that way. :)

sorry :blush:

In answer to your question ...

Your core temp difference is almost certainly normal, IMHO, you don't have a problem. Don't forget, each core is basically an individual processor, and they usually operate individually from each other. A running program will usually use only one of the cores.

Your CPU will not overheat, it'll just thermal throttle, or, shut down. Fortunately, that has nothing to do with the crappy thermal sensor. :)

further reading

well i do understand how the CPU works, but what put me to think was that everyone says that the temps are almost the same on both cores, like the review from windwithme, and mine even on the bios the temp is 37-40 with the case open and room temp of 15c....and it doesn't matter if i use the stock cooler or the hyper 212, both with arctic silver 5.....i don't understand :confused:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Your temps are "normal" IMHO, and others.

The different cores might have different temperatures and it is expected to see a 15°C-20°C difference between them since the temperature depends on the load being placed onto the processor. Please keep in mind the services running within the Operating system’s background always use processor resources; therefore, even on idle, the processor is being used.

... for troubleshooting purposes you can:

Run the Intel® Processor Identification Utility; make sure the processor is being properly recognized: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/processors/toolspiu

Also, you can verify its functionality by running the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool: http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031726.htm

If the processor is not being properly recognized or not properly working, make sure you have the latest BIOS version of the motherboard in use in order to have loaded the latest micro code available for your processor.

Another, useful, piece of software is, Speccy, the 'free' one more than adequate.

... and, if you are still not satisfied, you can always try returning the CPU as faulty. :)

Reaction score
Identification Utility: OK
Diagnostic Tool: OK

and i have the latest bios :)

speccy:

speccy_zps5334b243.png

maybe i'm just crazy...i don't know, every person i ask about this tells me that is normal, is just that my little head just does't understand why my temps are different from everyone else :wall:

but like i say the CPU works great, no problems at all.....

is it even possible to return the CPU?? :confused:

Thanks for all your help and information :cheers:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Really, I would stop 'worrying' over it until you need to use the warranty. :D

Go do something important, like play GW2. :cool:

Ask a Question