CPU Fan

Reaction score
When I recently had to change my PSU I noticed that my CPU fan had seized. I have fitted a new fan however it does not kick in, consequently I am now using me pc without any covers on in a bid to keep it cool.
Can I check the supply to the fan? Or does it mean my motherboard is U/S.

Fujitsu PII 350hz
MS - 6119 motherboard

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It does sound as if the supply volts for your fan on your motherboard have packed up. It's also likely in that case that your original fan is probably OK. Or both fans are knackered :D

Assuming your new fan is OK, you're going to have to power it from the main Power Supply. This means either getting a 3 pin to 4 pin Molex adaptor or cutting off the 3 pin plug and wiring it to an old Molex plug via a terminal block.

You need to come off the 12 volt supply, the 12V+ wire is usually yellow and any of the two middle black wires will be your 0V (minus).

If you have a voltmeter it's worth checking the volts before you connect, although you can't really go wrong. If you connect to the 5 volt rail, your fan will go slow, if you get the wires round the wrong way I believe the fan will just rotate the wrong way.

Not entirely sure on that last bit though :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Uh oh

You risk "Frying" your CPU ...

If your fan is connected to the motherboard change it for a fan with four pin connector & connect to the PSU.

Maplins will have them.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise, think i will try and get the adapter before i go chopping wires.
Cheers.
If i check the psu voltage using a multimeter can i do any damage if i connect the probes the wrong way round?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
If i check the psu voltage using a multimeter can i do any damage if i connect the probes the wrong way round?

Only to the volt meter. ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Originally posted by garry

No.

If it's a digital voltmeter it'll just show as a negative voltage. If it's an analogue meter, such as an AVO8, the needle will just swing hard to the left and give you no reading but it won't harm the meter.

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

Telephoned the local pc repair shop for an adaptor and they wanted £5, telephoned Maplins and they had the lead for £1.99.

Lead fitted ok and fan kicked in straight away.

Thanks guys.

Ask a Question