CPU at 100%

RogerD in TN

In the last several days, my HP Pavilion 061 computer, running an Inte
Celeron 3.06GHz processor has been running with the CPU pegged out a
100%. I've tried doing a safe boot and systematically turning of
processes to see what operation is consuming all of the processo
capacity, but no luck up to this point.

Is there a diagnostic I can run to identify my problem

JS

You need to find the specific process in that application that's taking all
the CPU resources.

To do this try Process Explorer:
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

Once you have Process Explorer installed and running:
Click on the CPU column to sort processes by %CPU usage.
Then click on the process that using most or all the CPU %, once it
highlighted, right click
and from the options listed select: google
This should display what out there on the web about that process.

Note: some entries like svchost may need to be expanded to show the detail,
in this case click on the + located to the left on the entry.

JS

antioch

RogerD in TN said:
In the last several days, my HP Pavilion 061 computer, running an Intel
Celeron 3.06GHz processor has been running with the CPU pegged out at
100%. I've tried doing a safe boot and systematically turning off
processes to see what operation is consuming all of the processor
capacity, but no luck up to this point.

Is there a diagnostic I can run to identify my problem?
How do you know it is running at 100%?
Antioch

RogerD in TN

-
How do you know it is running at 100%?
Antioch-

When I open Windows Task Manager (control/alt/delete), it shows CPU
Usage (in percent) in the bottom bar. In my case, it was pegged out at
100% without wavering, telling me that the demand on the CPU was
somewhat greater than it was capable of dealing with. You could type
text into a box and it might take 5 minutes for it to show up.

Through a trial and error process, I have identified that the Print
Spooler was the cause of the excessive demand on the CPU....by
"unchecking" the box for print spooler and rebooting, the PC seems to
run very normally with CPU Usage in the 5 to 10% range, but now I can't
print anything.

Anybody have thoughts on fixing problems with the print spooler??
RogerD in TN

antioch

RogerD in TN said:
When I open Windows Task Manager (control/alt/delete), it shows CPU
Usage (in percent) in the bottom bar. In my case, it was pegged out at
100% without wavering, telling me that the demand on the CPU was
somewhat greater than it was capable of dealing with. You could type
text into a box and it might take 5 minutes for it to show up.

Through a trial and error process, I have identified that the Print
Spooler was the cause of the excessive demand on the CPU....by
"unchecking" the box for print spooler and rebooting, the PC seems to
run very normally with CPU Usage in the 5 to 10% range, but now I can't
print anything.

Anybody have thoughts on fixing problems with the print spooler??
RogerD in TN

Hi Roger
I still cannot follow you - the figures you give can be read either way.
Did you see what print spooler was using when looking in TM?
Are you sure you are reading the CPU figure % correctly or is this a
'calculation' on what you are reading?
In TM the CPU reading is not its usage - its the idle reading.
The % reading is the usage reading for all the others.
If the actual figure you see is 99/100% it means it is doing nothing - which
is great if nothing else is running.
If you suspect there is something running and it should not be i.e. all
processes are off, when in 'processes', left click once on the CPU heading
then once again - the System Idle will come to the top and any other
processes etc running will show below - if you have TM open at processes
whilst typing a post, you will see how all this is shown.
Rgds
Antioch