Coupla Pix

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just a coupla pix taken from my balcony this evening, looking out over Central London. Soon it will be dark & cold, we've had our cold wind in August soon come the real thing.

100.jpg

101.jpg

That church spire there, that's St Pauls, not that old, probably about 250 years, situated in Deptford High Street.

Between 1969 & 1972 I worked for the local paper and knew a rector at that church, the Reverend David Diamond. He was one of the most energetic and likeable characters I have ever met.

I didn't agree with his religious views but he had an infectious personality that meant you couldn't help but like him and listen to him enthuse over his ideals with some amusement.

He was thinning on top and always seemed to wear a full length cassock. He was always talking animatedly and leaping all over the place. He established youth clubs at the church and made them work.

Suffice to say he had a positive impact on the local society.

St Pauls Church has a large crypt, with pillars and it will comfortably hold around 300 people with an alcohol licence.

David Diamond decided to put bands on in the Crypt to raise funds for whatever and staged a load of hippy/psychedelic bands in the crypt, I done a couple of discos myself there.

He done this for a long time, right into the eighties and the most famous band that ever played the crypt was probably Ozric Tentacles (do a Google).

Often wondered what became of David Diamond, he's probably dead, but he knew the power of the Press and thus always entertained me.

St Pauls Church, Deptford.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What a lovely sunset :) Out of interest, how many landmarks can you see from your place?

floppybootstomp said:
David Diamond decided to put bands on in the Crypt to raise funds for whatever and staged a load of hippy/psychedelic bands in the crypt, I done a couple of discos myself there.

Did you bring your coffin decks along? :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yes I did bring the coffin along, every single booking I've done I've used the coffin, only been asked to cover it up once, at a wedding reception in Crystal Palace Football club's bar.

I think the only landmark I can see is The London Eye. It's hard to make out in those pix but it's to the left of the white building on the right of the picture, just over half of it is showing.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Gorgeous sunsets Flopps - it's surprising how beautiful a city sky-scape can look. :D

Ask a Question