Counter Strike

Reaction score
Hey,

Im bored at the moment and have gone back to playing half life. Just decided to install Counter Strike and i went through the boring training stuff but cant work out how to play it on the net. The actual game menu doesnt show any games. Then i tried in Gamespy, but again there are no games shown. There MUST be people playing it????

Any help appreciated.

Bodhi.

Reaction score
bodhi said:
Hey,

Im bored at the moment and have gone back to playing half life. Just decided to install Counter Strike and i went through the boring training stuff but cant work out how to play it on the net. The actual game menu doesnt show any games. Then i tried in Gamespy, but again there are no games shown. There MUST be people playing it????

Any help appreciated.

Bodhi.

Hey Bodhi :)
Are you sure you are connected to the internet and not playing offline?
Makes sure your firewall lets 'hl2' access the internet, if prompted. If not go into your firewall settings and make sure its allowed to access the internet.

Hope that helps :D

Reaction score
Thanks mate. Def connected to the internet and i allowed all connections on the firewall side of things. Only think i can think of is that when i went to Gamespy it said there was a new version of counter strike out. Do i have to have the latest version to play?

Reaction score
bodhi said:
Thanks mate. Def connected to the internet and i allowed all connections on the firewall side of things. Only think i can think of is that when i went to Gamespy it said there was a new version of counter strike out. Do i have to have the latest version to play?

You shouldnt have Gamespy its crappy... you dont need it to play counter strike or anything, its just a thing which monitors if your mates are on.
Yeah, go to the steam website, make sure its patched up to date.
Have you got Counter strike source (new one) or counter strike 1.6 (old one)?:)

Reaction score
i'm not that experienced in online game playing, but when i play HL i use steam?

Reaction score
ah, just seen michaels comments, is there an echo in here?

echo

echo

echo

Reaction score
you need to have steam, and a steam account. And once you launched steam succesfuly and logged on go to --> my games

And launch your steam games, it will decrypt them and this can take up to 2 hour max.

After that you will be able to play online.

Reaction score
sorry if i offend any major cs gamers here, but counter strike is complete crap. there is no fun at all in in. its ugly, dated, and everyone on there has been playingf for at least 30 years, so you dont ever have a chance to do anything before. I know everyone has their own preference, obviously, but there are much better games.

Reaction score
PotGuy said:
sorry if i offend any major cs gamers here, but counter strike is complete crap. there is no fun at all in in. its ugly, dated, and everyone on there has been playingf for at least 30 years, so you dont ever have a chance to do anything before. I know everyone has their own preference, obviously, but there are much better games.

Play Counter Strike: Source.

Then come back here and edit that post Potguy :p

But you do have a point about there being no fun in it...it does get boring after a while..

Reaction score
I actually managed to get it working. I used steam and downloaded the latest version of Half life and Counter strike. CS was slightly boring cause by the time ive bought my guns and ammo some geek has already shot me!!

Might give half life a go.

Reaction score
You need to practice, this game is like any sport, your mouse is your tennis racket, and practice makes perfect.

bodhi said:
I actually managed to get it working. I used steam and downloaded the latest version of Half life and Counter strike. CS was slightly boring cause by the time ive bought my guns and ammo some geek has already shot me!!

Might give half life a go.

Reaction score
CS source has a new 3D graphic engine, if your referring to the old CS , hardly anyone ever plays it most people know that.

*Dated- New graphic engine that will give most card they run for their money on high settings
*Ugly- What do you define ugly? As far as ive seen with my own eyes the graphic are quite mint and the game play smooth
*Fun: mm depends what you into, not everyone has the same taste of games.
*30 Years- Higly exagerated statement, if you go on a very busy server you bound to get 4-6 players that are extremely good, and 4-6 hackers.

The bad: Hackers and campers

PotGuy said:

Reaction score
I was playing Half life last night. Forgot how much fun it is to shoot someone in the head with a cross bow!! haha.

Reaction score
muplayer2000 said:
CS source has a new 3D graphic engine, if your referring to the old CS , hardly anyone ever plays it most people know that.

*Dated- New graphic engine that will give most card they run for their money on high settings
*Ugly- What do you define ugly? As far as ive seen with my own eyes the graphic are quite mint and the game play smooth
*Fun: mm depends what you into, not everyone has the same taste of games.
*30 Years- Higly exagerated statement, if you go on a very busy server you bound to get 4-6 players that are extremely good, and 4-6 hackers.

The bad: Hackers and campers

calm down! i was clearly on about the original cs! source engine is beautiful!

and i think youll find that if you look at the official playing figures on steam that the orignal cs is BY FAR AND AWAY the most popular valve game.

Reaction score
PotGuy said:
calm down! i was clearly on about the original cs! source engine is beautiful!

and i think youll find that if you look at the official playing figures on steam that the orignal cs is BY FAR AND AWAY the most popular valve game.

Dont worry we werent having too much of a go at you Potguy :p:)

Bit sad that Valve have so many popular games, would like to see more independent companies make original games etc :D

Reaction score
OK, ive been playing CS for a few days now, but im getting killed so often!! Its frustrating cause im usually pretty good at this type of game!!!!!!

Is there some trick to killing people, cause i seem to spray about a billion bullets in someones direction only for them to laugh them off and fire a bullet straight through my bonce!! Damn it!!

Reaction score
There's your answer mate.

Head kills do more damage more quickly than body kills.

It's the same for every game, the collision detection (if thats what you wanna call it) is more sensitive and toned than it is for body shots. That is why you die instantly from a head kill :D

Reaction score
Yeah just use single fire :D, pop out a few shots with say the m4 or ak47.
If you really must spray use the mp5 navy, best spray gun in my opinion :D.

Just get some practise on bot maps, create your own server fill it with a few bots and get used to the maps without being killed so much :)

Reaction score
Thanks guys, didnt know i could create my own "bot server", think i'll give that a go. There are obviously a lot of people out there that have been playing CS for more than a week!! haha.

Ask a Question