Could use some help on the Blue Screen of Death

B

Billy E. Karlinsey

My system did an automatic download of a couple of update's:Microsoft.NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (KB110806) and
Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 1 (SP1). When prodded to install I complied. When the update were preceding I got this blue screen message.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check to make sure any new hardware of software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problem continues, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BOIS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options,,and the select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x00000035 (0x8932F260,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000

My comments: This is a long time running system and have not add any new hardware in a long time. No new software added either, lots of up dates to popular used programs but they all seem to install correctly. I have no idea what the message means "NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS" or what to do about it. I did several system restores, one, one week one month and all the way back to the earliest one which was early NOV 07. The updates are still wanting to be installed and when I try on any of the earlier system restore I get the blue screen again. Not trying to do the updates and try to run a complex program I get the blue screen. No change in situation except one on reboots I sometimes receive this message: "Cannot find import; DLL may be missing, corrupt, or wrong version file "rtl70.bpl", error 126", which I cannot find the file on the system or that it ever was. This is an 4 or 5 year old IBM Desk top, Pentium 4, 1.6 GHz 1.5 GB of RAM WindowsXP Home ver. 2002 Ser.Pack 2. Computer is usually running 24x7. I have a program that runs mostly in the back ground BOINC Manager that runs a Rosetta a distributed processing program, other wise the computer is used for connecting to the ISP and I use my laptop connected by network to the IBM for all my computing needs and use the IBM only if I have an overflow of work and need a large download taken care of so does not tie up the laptop.

C

Colin Barnhorst

See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906866 for a hotfix that addresses this issue.

My system did an automatic download of a couple of update's:Microsoft.NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (KB110806) and
Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 1 (SP1). When prodded to install I complied. When the update were preceding I got this blue screen message.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check to make sure any new hardware of software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problem continues, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BOIS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options,,and the select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

My comments: This is a long time running system and have not add any new hardware in a long time. No new software added either, lots of up dates to popular used programs but they all seem to install correctly. I have no idea what the message means "NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS" or what to do about it. I did several system restores, one, one week one month and all the way back to the earliest one which was early NOV 07. The updates are still wanting to be installed and when I try on any of the earlier system restore I get the blue screen again. Not trying to do the updates and try to run a complex program I get the blue screen. No change in situation except one on reboots I sometimes receive this message: "Cannot find import; DLL may be missing, corrupt, or wrong version file "rtl70.bpl", error 126", which I cannot find the file on the system or that it ever was. This is an 4 or 5 year old IBM Desk top, Pentium 4, 1.6 GHz 1.5 GB of RAM WindowsXP Home ver. 2002 Ser.Pack 2. Computer is usually running 24x7. I have a program that runs mostly in the back ground BOINC Manager that runs a Rosetta a distributed processing program, other wise the computer is used for connecting to the ISP and I use my laptop connected by network to the IBM for all my computing needs and use the IBM only if I have an overflow of work and need a large download taken care of so does not tie up the laptop.

P

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Troubleshooting Windows STOP Messages:
http://aumha.org/a/stop.php

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Technical information:

C

createwindow

Hi,

Your system may only need a chkdsk /r

See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

If the file system NTFS journal is out of whack & tries to read the
registry hive 'system' it can load garbage service info (driver data)
that a chkdsk /r will (with luck) repair.

Anyway you need to do a chkdsk /r as your PC has "bug
checked" (BSOD'd).

i.e Every BSOD = do a chkdsk /r
or you will not have a starting point.

Then try again (but if you are stuck in that loop though....
whoops...) I'll refer you to PA's post... :)

Hope that helps.
CreateWindow
http://mymessagetaker.com
The while-you-were-out message program you have been looking for!

B

Billy E. Karlinsey

I have looked at both of your solutions to my problem, Colin Barnhorst & PA Bear. At this point Colin solution with Microsoft is the correct one and a rifle to my problem, "you install more than three programs that are related to file security. For example, you install more than three antivirus programs or file-encryption programs." and this is true in my case. I am now waiting for the hotfix from Microsoft to proceed. Thank a lot guys for the help I will let you all know what has happen after I get and use the hotfix.
Billy

P

PA Bear [MS MVP]

What three or more file security applications have you installed? Are they still installed?

[To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of previous message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.]
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
I have looked at both of your solutions to my problem, Colin Barnhorst & PA Bear. At this point Colin solution with Microsoft is the correct one and a rifle to my problem, "you install more than three programs that are related to file security. For example, you install more than three antivirus programs or file-encryption programs." and this is true in my case. I am now waiting for the hotfix from Microsoft to proceed. Thank a lot guys for the help I will let you all know what has happen after I get and use the hotfix.
Billy

B

Billy E. Karlinsey

Ad-Ware 2007; Cryptainer; Norman Virus Control; Spyware Doctor; Windows Defender. I believe these five are and yes they are still installed. I received the HotFix (KB Article Number(s): 906866) installed same followed the instructions, rebooted and tried to do the Microsoft update installation. Got my old blue screen again so the fix did not work. I am in the middle of other tricks I have used in the pass problems kind of shotguning it now nothing is helping.
Billy
What three or more file security applications have you installed? Are they still installed?

[To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of previous message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.]
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Billy

Ask a Question