Could not reinitialize the deployment engine

I've got the full retail version of Vista home premium, and I'm trying a
clean install on a new hard drive. I always get this error when I use the
Vista setup to format the drive. It comes up during the first step after
selecting the drive. The only instruction is to try again...

I've removed all non-essential hardware from my machine. I've disabled all
non-essential features in BIOS (even USB & mouse). I have searched everywhere
for help. The only decent hint I found was to format the drive using NTFS
format.

I don't have XP (which is why I'm doing a clean install), so I don't have
the XP utilities to format the drive. I did find SWISSKNIFE, and used that to
format the drive with NTFS. When I tried the Vista install afterwards, it
almost worked. It got to step 2 (expanding, I think?), went maybe 50%, then
gave this error:

Windows cannot install required files. The file does not exist. Make sure
all files required are available. Error code 0x80070003.

If I try the install again after that, I'm back to the "depoyment engine "
error message.

I'm totally stumped.

Rock

Mike M said:
[...]

Download a drive diagnostic utility from the drive manufacturer's web site.
This will create a bootable floppy or CD. Boot from it and run the
diagnostics on the drive. Also get a utility from them to write zeros to
the drive. If the drive diagnostics check out ok zero out the drive, then
try the install without it having been formatted to see if the Vista setup
will partition, format and install.

Richard Urban

Vista needs the NTFS file system. Use what you must to delete the partitions
from the drive and allow the Vista setup program to create and format a new
partition.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Its a western-digital drive. I'll use their DOS utility to format the drive
tonight.

Richard Urban

You can not use a DOS utility to format a drive as NTFS. Use the Vista DVD.

If you have an upgrade version of Vista, you will have to use a 3rd party
program such as Acronis Disk Director. If you boot from the CD you create
after installing said program in Windows XP, you can format all of your
Vista partitions as NTFS before the operating system is even installed.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Richard Urban

You can not use a DOS utility to format a drive as NTFS. Use the Vista DVD.

If you have an upgrade version of Vista, you will have to use a 3rd party
program such as Acronis Disk Director. If you boot from the CD you create
after installing said program in Windows XP, you can format all of your
Vista partitions as NTFS before the operating system is even installed.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

HEllo Mike,
What type of hard drive(s) and what type of controller(s) ( and what is the
controller driver file name) are in the system?
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBN?= <Mike (e-mail address removed)>
|>Subject: Could not reinitialize the deployment engine
|>Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 19:21:01 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>I've got the full retail version of Vista home premium, and I'm trying a
|>clean install on a new hard drive. I always get this error when I use
the
|>Vista setup to format the drive. It comes up during the first step after
|>selecting the drive. The only instruction is to try again...
|>
|>I've removed all non-essential hardware from my machine. I've disabled
all
|>non-essential features in BIOS (even USB & mouse). I have searched
everywhere
|>for help. The only decent hint I found was to format the drive using NTFS
|>format.
|>
|>I don't have XP (which is why I'm doing a clean install), so I don't have
|>the XP utilities to format the drive. I did find SWISSKNIFE, and used
that to
|>format the drive with NTFS. When I tried the Vista install afterwards, it
|>almost worked. It got to step 2 (expanding, I think?), went maybe 50%,
then
|>gave this error:
|>
|>Windows cannot install required files. The file does not exist. Make sure
|>all files required are available. Error code 0x80070003.
|>
|>If I try the install again after that, I'm back to the "depoyment engine
"
|>error message.
|>
|>I'm totally stumped.

Its a western digital WD800JB PATA (IDE) drive.

Since its IDE, I shouldn't need any controller drivers, right?

Its an ECS K7S5A motherboard if that makes any difference.

-Mike M

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Mike,
What is the exact error message displayed?
Is it this "Windows Setup could not reinitialize the Windows Deployment
Service engine."
There are a couple of messages that are similar and the issue would be
different depending on the exact string.
The controller would have a driver even it it's IDE.
You can use Device Manager to locate the driver name
Under IDE /ATAPI controllers
Driver tab
Driver Details button.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBN?= <[email protected]>
|>Subject: RE: Could not reinitialize the deployment engine
|>Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 16:19:00 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>Its a western digital WD800JB PATA (IDE) drive.
|>
|>Since its IDE, I shouldn't need any controller drivers, right?
|>
|>Its an ECS K7S5A motherboard if that makes any difference.
|>
|>-Mike M
|>
|>""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
|>
|>> HEllo Mike,
|>> What type of hard drive(s) and what type of controller(s) ( and what is
the
|>> controller driver file name) are in the system?
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|>> --------------------

|>> the

|>> all
|>> everywhere
NTFS

|>> that to
|>> then

|>> "

Dave:

No, that is not the exact message. it is:

Windows Setup could not reinitialize the deployment engine. To install
Windows, restart the installation.

Notice that the word "service" is not in this message. I have the message
sitting right in front of me and have typed it verbatim, and checked it to
verify that I have typed it correctly.

Unfortunately I no longer have an operating system on the machine I'm
installing vista on, so I'm having trouble finding which controller driver is
used. I have the CD that came with the motherboard and I'm searching around
in it to try to determine which drivers are used. I'll get back with that
information ASAP.

Thanks for your attention so far, Dave.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Mike,
What is the exact error message displayed?
Is it this "Windows Setup could not reinitialize the Windows Deployment
Service engine."
There are a couple of messages that are similar and the issue would be
different depending on the exact string.
The controller would have a driver even it it's IDE.
You can use Device Manager to locate the driver name
Under IDE /ATAPI controllers
Driver tab
Driver Details button.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBN?= <[email protected]>
|>Subject: RE: Could not reinitialize the deployment engine
|>Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 16:19:00 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>Its a western digital WD800JB PATA (IDE) drive.
|>
|>Since its IDE, I shouldn't need any controller drivers, right?
|>
|>Its an ECS K7S5A motherboard if that makes any difference.
|>
|>-Mike M
|>
|>""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
|>
|>> HEllo Mike,
|>> What type of hard drive(s) and what type of controller(s) ( and what is
the
|>> controller driver file name) are in the system?
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|>> --------------------

|>> the

|>> all
|>> everywhere
NTFS

|>> that to
|>> then

|>> "

No luck figuring out which drivers I used to use.

The motherboard uses an SiS 735 chipset. I have found that I can download
the drivers from SiS. Maybe I could make a CD with the SiS drivers?

I have loading drivers in VISTA INSTALL from the CD I got with my
motherboard, but the vista install can't find any drivers when I do "load
drivers"...

I'm going to bed for tonight. I'll watch for followups tomorrow.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Mike,
What is the exact error message displayed?
Is it this "Windows Setup could not reinitialize the Windows Deployment
Service engine."
There are a couple of messages that are similar and the issue would be
different depending on the exact string.
The controller would have a driver even it it's IDE.
You can use Device Manager to locate the driver name
Under IDE /ATAPI controllers
Driver tab
Driver Details button.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBN?= <[email protected]>
|>Subject: RE: Could not reinitialize the deployment engine
|>Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 16:19:00 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>Its a western digital WD800JB PATA (IDE) drive.
|>
|>Since its IDE, I shouldn't need any controller drivers, right?
|>
|>Its an ECS K7S5A motherboard if that makes any difference.
|>
|>-Mike M
|>
|>""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
|>
|>> HEllo Mike,
|>> What type of hard drive(s) and what type of controller(s) ( and what is
the
|>> controller driver file name) are in the system?
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|>> --------------------

|>> the

|>> all
|>> everywhere
NTFS

|>> that to
|>> then

|>> "

Nonny

This was the worst thread ever. Please do not copy and paste posts from
other websites hoping they will be helpful. Please be direct when giving
support rather than taking it off another site and pasting it. I too
have this same issue, and all the 'solutions' descrived are completely
useless and do nothing.

I am trying to install a Vista Ultimate x64 on a 780i SLi Motherboard.
I am on the phone with Microsoft right now trying to figure out the
issue.

Will keep you posted with -useful - help if I can.

You moron. You are replying to a thread that died over a freaking
year ago.

James Matthews

I am having some trouble understanding what you are asking can you please
include some more information.