could not reinitialize deployment engine

I have a new machine that I'm trying to install Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
on.

I'm using the onboard SATA in non-RAID mode on an Asus P5N32-E SLI
motherboard with BIOS 0602 (the latest). The HDD is a WD1600AAJS 160GB SATA
from Western Digital.

During the copying files phase I get the error messgae "Windows could not
reinitialize deployment engine"

I've tried installing with and without the motherboard SATA RAID drivers
(which I should not need as I'm not running RAID).

Thoughts? I've used every version of Windows since it's introduction and
never had an install problem until now...

BobS

Dan,

Problem may be similar to one that is known for A8N32-SLI series boards that
use the nForce4 drivers (SATA controller). Vista x64 cannot be installed to
a SATA drive that is controlled by the nForce4 SATA controller.

Nvidia now has updated drivers posted for both 32 & 64 bit versions. When
you get to the page to download, (Platform / nForce drivers > nForce Series
AMD > Windows Vista 64 bit > Go) look on the left side and click on "RAID
Floppy Disk Install" and read the part about making a floppy for a F6 key
install.

It's convoluted and I haven't done it myself, but it does address both RAID
and non-RAID usage - even though in one of the paragraphs, it says not for
use on non-RAID setups. But then goes on to say if RAID is not being
used.....? I emailed Nvidia this morning about which files need to be
loaded for a non-RAID configuration on Vista x64.....

I have Vista x64 running on a PATA drive and I have Vista 32 bit (x86)
running on a SATA drive but can't get Vista x64 on a SATA drive. I have some
Raptor drives that I want to use along with the 64 bit version for CAD and
photo-editing.

Others in this ng are also experiencing similar problems with this series of
mb that use the nForce4 driver sets. I called Asus - they were real
helpful... "we don't support Vista on this motherboard..."

Please post back if you find a solution......

Bob S.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Dan,
Is the message "Windows Setup could not reinitialize the Windows Deployment
Service engine."?
Which is slightly different.
Is so check if SAC is enabled in the BIOS, this could be an issue with
EMC(Emergency Management Console) detecting SAC enabled.
This would be the remote control option during setup or post setup through
an interface card or the serial port.
If it is enabled try disabling it to get through setup.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]