Cost effective inkjet brand (new)?

measekite

Sparky wrote:

measekite wrote:

They are when the companies keep them proprietary so I have to pay $20 for an OEM ink cartridge compared to $3 or $4 for oem. Gee Whiz I just met a bunch of smart people buying Canon ink at Costco for around $10.00 a cartridge. I am surprised that you are paying twice as much.

I'm not, I'm trying to decide which OTHER printer I can buy that doesn't use proprietary chipped ink cartridges. I saw oem cartridges advertised for anywhere from $13 to $20 per cartridge, but even at your "around" $10/cartridge, that comes out to "around" $50 a set, whereas I can get them for $10 or $12 per non-oem set.

You see your thinking is not right.  You cannot get THEM because the them you say are inferior and can damage your printer, fade your photos and the quality is not as good.  So you cannot compare apples with rotten tomatoes.

But, even then, the problem I really have with Canon (and other manufacturers following the same route) is that they're not saying "If you don't use our inks, your warranty is void.".

Good.  Why should they sell you a printer; let another mfg break it; and then fix it for free.  Do you think if you buy a gasoline Toyota and then put diesel fuel in it that Toyota should fix it for free.

Instead, they're dictating that I can only use THEIR ink in MY printer.

They designed the printing system and they have a right to recommend what they want and design it any way they want.  You have a right to print with a fountain pen if you do not like it.

I should be able to use lampblack and whale oil if I wanted! If my printer died as a result of my stupidity, then so much the better - I'd be smarter, they'd sell me another printer, and everyone would be happy. Now tossing it back to you, what would your reaction be if you went to buy a a car and the dealership said that you could only use Crown gas in the tank, Penzoil oil in the engine, and Dom Perignon in the windshield washer? Personally, I'd buy a different manufacturer's car. I was under the impression that a lot of our forefathers fought and died defending the rights of people to make their own decisions.

It sounds to me like you do not know your forefathers.

Is Canon's ink really THAT much better? Absolutely

Have you any independent test results, or is that just the (world's shortest) gospel according to measkite?

My ip-4200 just ran out of ink, and I found that I can buy a whole new ip-4200 printer (with a brand-spanking new set of OEM inks) for less than I could buy the set of inks alone. Then that is the way to go. You should take advantage of that deal.

I'm still confused though. Why is (ink + printer) < ink? Just using simple math and economics, that would mean that either printer < 0, which seems unlikely, or there's another reason...like they're essentially giving the printer away to get folks into the ink pipeline? I'm open to other suggestions...

I'm curious too, measkite - are you one of those folks who take your car back to the dealership for regular service so you don't "void the warranty"? Nope, I take my car back to the dealer for service because they know the car, do the job right the first time, and I do not have problems and just pay a little more. In the long term I probably spend less.

Wow, do you still believe in Santa Claus too? My son is a mechanic, and his first job was in a large Toyota dealership which he lovingly referred to as "the land of misfit mechanics". Most of the employees were the dregs who weren't competent or motivated enough to get a job working in an independent shop, and the dealership still charged an arm and a leg and tried to jack up the bill with unnecessary work. A lot of his friends, who also started in dealerships, had the same opinions. You should find a private garage with capable mechanics you personally know and trust, and stick with them. You'll be happier, less poor, and probably safer to boot.

Sparky

Oy...naught but the "party line". Beam me up, Scotty...
So you cannot compare apples with rotten tomatoes.

Can too. This is America!
Good. Why should they sell you a printer; let another mfg break it; and then fix it for free. Do you think if you buy a gasoline Toyota and then put diesel fuel in it that Toyota should fix it for free.

Didn't say that at all. There's a simple solution though - chip the
printer to remember the cartridges inserted. Ipso facto, non-oem
cartridges = no fixee printer. Q.E.D.
Instead, they're
dictating that I can only use THEIR ink in MY printer.

They designed the printing system and they have a right to recommend what they want and design it any way they want. You have a right to print with a fountain pen if you do not like it.

Reread my sentence...slowly. I bristle with umbrage at dictating, not
recommending. I'd have no problem if they merely recommended, but
proprietary chips = dictating. I am exercising my right by not buying
a printer that forces me to buy proprietary ink, I'm just looking for
the right alternative. It might even be an older Canon. I loved my
I560 (and fed it only non-oem inks) until it died a horrible
(non-clogged) electronic death.
It sounds to me like you do not know your forefathers.

Do too - Freedom is a basic right fought for in America and the world
over. What did YOUR forefathers stand and fight for?
Have you any independent test results

No comment = no facts? I'm waiting to be enlightened.

Burt

(snip)
No comment = no facts? I'm waiting to be enlightened.

I'll enlighten you , Sparky - You took the bait! Measekite's favorite trick
is to lay the trap and engage a new arrival on this newsgroup in his tired,
years-old diatribe. You can't talk sense to our resident troll, so do like
the rest of us have done. Kill file him and stop expending your precious
time and energy trying to debate with the fool. (famous old saying - when
one argues with a fool, there are two.) Then the rest of us won't have to
see his posts reprinted in your responses!

Sparky

Hi Burt,

I knew just what I was doing, I was just curious how much of a bot
measkite really is. Plus, I had a bad week and was feeling
argumentative, but now I'm better. Sorry to have poked the troll.

On a different note, are there any newer printers that are reliable and
reasonably priced, have good performance, and don't make us poor folk
buy expensive OEM inks?

Steve

Burt

Sparky said:
Hi Burt,

I knew just what I was doing, I was just curious how much of a bot
measkite really is. Plus, I had a bad week and was feeling
argumentative, but now I'm better. Sorry to have poked the troll.

On a different note, are there any newer printers that are reliable and
reasonably priced, have good performance, and don't make us poor folk
buy expensive OEM inks?

Steve
The newest canon pixmas have chipped carts and can be refilled, but you lose
the ink monitor and have to inspect the carts visually. No big deal as they
are clear. Canon, however, then gived you a message that you will void your
warranty and you are on your own! You would save so much money refilling
that when the printer goes you will have saved enough to buy several more.
There are now some so-called compatables that are prefilled but don't have
the chip. You have to transplant the chip and you still have the problems
noted above - a chip that tells the printer that the cart is empty. Staples
had the ip4300 in store for about $70 after rebate. Supposed to be a very
decent printer.

Google the iP6000D and see if they are still available. Last week there
were vendors that had them new for $100 or more. This is a six color photo
printer that is the one that followed the i960. Canon did a different
printhead for the iP6000 - unfortunately, with fewer nozzles - but it is
still a good printer. The good news is that you will have prefilled
compatable bci-6 carts available from lots of vendors. I would still
recommend refilling as you can get bulk ink that is more predictable. MIS
(the one I use), Alotofthings (Formulabs), and Hobbicolors are the bulk inks
most people with Canons use to refill their carts. If you can stretch your
budget and have enough desk space, look for an i9900, the Canon wide formate
printer that uses the bci-6 carts and is an eight color printer. I've seen
them on closeout for arounde $400 new. AND - you know now to disregard the
guaranteed negative response from MK.

measekite

This entity will not provide you with useful information.  You should call Canon or Epson technical support for good information or for more independent information you should read:

wilhelm labs
pcmag
pcworld
eweek

and other publications like that for professional advice.

Sparky wrote:

Hi Burt, I knew just what I was doing, I was just curious how much of a bot measkite really is. Plus, I had a bad week and was feeling argumentative, but now I'm better. Sorry to have poked the troll. On a different note, are there any newer printers that are reliable and reasonably priced, have good performance, and don't make us poor folk buy expensive OEM inks? Steve Burt wrote: