What New Printers Have Cartridges I can Still Refill ?

hhhmayo

I refilled the cartridges on my Canon Pixma 4200. It has all but
locked up and takes forever to print. Surfing the web, I discover that
this is a deliberate ploy to force Canon owners to buy their expensive
cartridges. I am not falling for this and the printer is going in the
trash tomorrow. Are there any brands currently out there that still
have refillable cartridges?

Michael Johnson

I refilled the cartridges on my Canon Pixma 4200. It has all but
locked up and takes forever to print. Surfing the web, I discover that
this is a deliberate ploy to force Canon owners to buy their expensive
cartridges. I am not falling for this and the printer is going in the
trash tomorrow. Are there any brands currently out there that still
have refillable cartridges?

Most Canon inkjet printers have cartridges that can be refilled. You
lose ink level monitoring but that isn't a big issue, IMO. As for other
brands I can't say much as I only buy Canon inkjets.

measekite

I refilled the cartridges on my Canon Pixma 4200. It has all but
locked up and takes forever to print. Surfing the web, I discover that
this is a deliberate ploy to force Canon owners to buy their expensive
cartridges. I am not falling for this and the printer is going in the
trash tomorrow. Are there any brands currently out there that still
have refillable cartridges?

You should get a Canon IP4500 and use only Canon ink and carts. It is a
great printer if you follow Canon's recommendations.

measekite

Michael said:
Most Canon inkjet printers have cartridges that can be refilled. Not a good idea.
You lose ink level monitoring but that isn't a big issue
You also loose print quality, subject yourself to more fadability and
unless you print a great deal risk ruining the printhead and of course
you will loose the warranty. And the ink monitoring is nice to have.

OG

measekite said:
You also loose print quality, subject yourself to more fadability and

You assume that everyone is intent on archiving their prints, whereas most
of us use printers as tools for when we need a hard copy of something that
can't wait until we're next in the office.
unless you print a great deal risk ruining the printhead and of course you
will loose the warranty.
Fool, if a printer costs £60 the warranty is worth no more than £60 , and
after the first year it's worth £0
Whereas refilling cartridges saves £25 per set, so you are literally
throwing money away if you don't refill .
And the ink monitoring is nice to have.
, IMO. As for other brands I can't say much as I only buy Canon inkjets.

Ink monitoring tells you nothing that 1 streaky page of print doesn't tell
you with much more accuracy.

Michael Johnson

OG said:
You assume that everyone is intent on archiving their prints, whereas most
of us use printers as tools for when we need a hard copy of something that
can't wait until we're next in the office.

Fool, if a printer costs £60 the warranty is worth no more than £60 , and
after the first year it's worth £0
Whereas refilling cartridges saves £25 per set, so you are literally
throwing money away if you don't refill .

Ink monitoring tells you nothing that 1 streaky page of print doesn't tell
you with much more accuracy.

Killing filing that idiot was one of the best decisions I have made,
except for maybe deciding to use after market inks.

LF

Michael said:
Killing filing that idiot was one of the best decisions I have made,
except for maybe deciding to use after market inks.

Michael,
Thanks for the tip. Just downloaded Thunderbird, so I could do so. I
don't think Google Groups (my old reader) has that feature.

Best,
Larry

Rick Kovalcik

You assume that everyone is intent on archiving their prints, whereas most
of us use printers as tools for when we need a hard copy of something that
can't wait until we're next in the office.

In which case you should buy something like a used HP 4000 LJ on Ebay
for the same price and it will last 10000 pages without needing new
toner and the toner will never dry out.

Arthur Entlich

Running a thermal inkjet printer head without ink can and probably will
burn out the head in short order, so I do not recommend one waits for
streaky prints with this type of head technology.

Piezo heads are usually not damaged by being run dry, although the head
may clog from dried ink, or develop an air lock.

Art

Michael Johnson

LF said:
Michael,
Thanks for the tip. Just downloaded Thunderbird, so I could do so. I
don't think Google Groups (my old reader) has that feature.

You are going to find your experience here much more pleasant.

measekite

OG wrote:

"measekite" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Michael Johnson wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

I refilled the cartridges on my Canon Pixma 4200. It has all but locked up and takes forever to print. Surfing the web, I discover that this is a deliberate ploy to force Canon owners to buy their expensive cartridges. I am not falling for this and the printer is going in the trash tomorrow. Are there any brands currently out there that still have refillable cartridges?

Most Canon inkjet printers have cartridges that can be refilled.

Not a good idea.

You lose ink level monitoring but that isn't a big issue

You also loose print quality, subject yourself to more fadability and

You assume that everyone is intent on archiving their prints, whereas most of us use printers as tools for when we need a hard copy of something that can't wait until we're next in the office.

If that is the case then you people should admit that you are willing to forsake quality and durability to spend less money.  I do not have a problem with that.  IT is the holier than thou ones who falsely claim they are getting the same or better for less.

unless you print a great deal risk ruining the printhead and of course you will loose the warranty.

Fool, if a printer costs £60 the warranty is worth no more than £60 , and after the first year it's worth £0 Whereas refilling cartridges saves £25 per set,

It saves nothing.  You spend less to get less.

so you are literally throwing money away if you don't refill .

And the ink monitoring is nice to have. , IMO. As for other brands I can't say much as I only buy Canon inkjets.

Ink monitoring tells you nothing that 1 streaky page of print doesn't tell you with much more accuracy.

It tells you when to change the ink so you do not ruin a photo or the paper it is printed on.

measekite

Arthur said:
Running a thermal inkjet printer head without ink can and probably
will burn out the head in short order, so I do not recommend one waits
for streaky prints with this type of head technology.
WOW the two know it alls holier than thous butt heads. One agrees with
me and the other does not. For the record an ink monitoring system is a
real benefit. If you do not have one then you need to visually check
the carts frequently. YOu can do that with a Canon but not with an Epson.

Burt

Arthur Entlich said:
Running a thermal inkjet printer head without ink can and probably will
burn out the head in short order, so I do not recommend one waits for
streaky prints with this type of head technology.

Piezo heads are usually not damaged by being run dry, although the head
may clog from dried ink, or develop an air lock.

Art

(snip)

Art - absolutely right. The good news is that Canon carts are transparent
and permit visual examination. My six color printer takes less than a
minute to individually check all the carts. Becuase I still have an
unchipped cart unit my ink monitor works fine. I prefer, however, to refill
before the low ink warning as I can get more refills before purging the
carts. Waiting til the warning that the cart is empty, the sponge portion
dries out too much.