Corrupt Files From Reset Button

G

Hello

I'm using XP Professional. My computer froze overnight so I reset it after trying all the keyboard commands with no response. Now that its restarted, it says that it the Administrator profile is corrupt and its using a temporary account, but all files will be lost once i restart

This is not the first time files have gone corrupt when I have reset it. I had reinstall windows on a new harddrive because some of the operating files got lost last time this happened. Please tell me what to do to stop this from happening, and how to recover my profile

Thanks
Adrian

G

Run Scandisk first of all
The administrator profile is located in C:\Documents and Serrings\Administrator (usually C:\). In the profile you will find Desktop, Favorites, Cookies and Administrators Documents. Try to manually copy files you want to keep to a safe location, say C:\backup - you might get errors from copying damaged files.
Next step is to remove the Administrators profile. Right cklick my computer -> properties -> Advanced tab -> User Profiles and finally click settings. You now have an option to copy the entire profile to a safe location (c:\backup\admin) altought chances are you´ll get errors since it is corrupted. Delete the profile and log on as Administrator again o recreate the profile. NOTE!! You must be logged in as another user with admin privileges to delete and/or copy the administrator profile

After recreating the profile you could manually copy back the files you saved before or from User Profiles Settings copy back the entire profile (this migt not be a good option if you got errors while copying it before).

G

Thanks Peter

I had already moved the files to a safe location before asking. None of them had any errors. Scandisk didnt pick up anything either. :

In Users, it says there are 2 Administrators: Administrator Backup and Administrator temp. I am currently using temp
Should I remove both or copy the backup one as a new one? Would I be better off creating a new user, rather than copying? Once i logoff, will there be a default Administrator profile? I don't want to make a mistake and foolishly remove all administrator users... lo

Please help

----- Peter wrote: ----

Run Scandisk first of all
The administrator profile is located in C:\Documents and Serrings\Administrator (usually C:\). In the profile you will find Desktop, Favorites, Cookies and Administrators Documents. Try to manually copy files you want to keep to a safe location, say C:\backup - you might get errors from copying damaged files.
Next step is to remove the Administrators profile. Right cklick my computer -> properties -> Advanced tab -> User Profiles and finally click settings. You now have an option to copy the entire profile to a safe location (c:\backup\admin) altought chances are you´ll get errors since it is corrupted. Delete the profile and log on as Administrator again o recreate the profile. NOTE!! You must be logged in as another user with admin privileges to delete and/or copy the administrator profile

After recreating the profile you could manually copy back the files you saved before or from User Profiles Settings copy back the entire profile (this migt not be a good option if you got errors while copying it before).

Ask a Question