Copying Issues to External Harddrive

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I need some help,I have 1tb WD My Passport essential se and a Toshiba satellite A500 with win 7.
Previously i had a wd 1tb desktop ext hard drive, i took it back as the data i was copying, when copying large amounts of files (say 10 to 50 gigs videos music etc) were becoming corrupted, at least 90% of them.
The same thing has been happening with this new one, ive had to reformat it at least 3 times to get it working again, since then ive been using teracopy as well as testing the files with an improvement, no crashes since(mind you i haven't copied enormous amounts of data).
Just then i tried to run a windows backup to it, it came up "backup was unsuccessful" then tried again, the back up halted then my hard drive disappears off the drive list. so i cancel the the backup, it cancels fine, then i go to my hard drive and it needs reformatting!

Also i tried memtest86 on the computer and every time i run it it will power down my computer after roughly 5mins,its always random but no longer than 5mins

All this is leading me to believe that it isn't the hard drives but my computer?
The computer is still under warranty, but i want to kinda go there with some ammo so they don't try and palm me off, or better yet fix it myself.

sorry about the novel ive written but im just trying to give as much info as possible!! Thanks in advance

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
If you run memtest and get this type of failure, replace the memory. That will definitely cause an issue with transfer of data. Are you getting errors in any other process? Surfing the internet, playing a game, normal use?

What prompted you to run memtest?

Reaction score
Haven't got errors doing anything else, only thing is sometimes running word,excel etc they freeze up on occasion. But i dont think thats anything out of the norm?

Well i asked a friend and he said that could be a possibility, but he wasnt to sure, after hours (literally) of research the ram was the only one that kinda fitted the description. But there wasnt any concrete reasons people gave for this happening. I even asked wd about it and they were quick to say that it was a hard drive issue, although logically, there's a high likelihood its not that.

I even tried contacting memtest86 support about why it would power down my computer like that, with no reply.
Is there any other tests i can run? without pulling the laptop apart...

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
replacing the memory should be simple. usually, it's just a small panel on the under-side of the unit. flip it over and check it out. Many times it is centrally located and square. about 2.5' to 3in square.

The first thought i had when you mentioned the shutting down was the power supply failing. In this case, it would probably be internal circuitry. If the memory is shorting out and pulling an unusual load on the system, it could shut down to prevent damage. When you pull a rubber band at the specified 2.5lbs of force to stretch it, everything is ok. When you apply 100lbs of force, really fast, it breaks. Same concept here, but with sparks and explosions....on a way smaller scale.

This would only be relevant to the power supply if other actions caused shutdown. High CPU time = Extra load and power requirement adjustments. The same would apply for the AC adapter you have to connect it to the wall. If it is not supplying enough power, you could shut down to prevent damage.

All that being said, I would still try new memory. It is simple to get out of laptops these days and simple to change. Open the panel on the under-side, use a small amount of pressure to spread the retaining clips and the module will pop up to ~30degree angle. Lift to 45deg and remove. To reinstall, 45deg angle of approach to the slot and gently press down to "flat" when the clips snap into place around the module.

Last edited:
Reaction score
and now the hard drive that crashed wont re-format. Its just getting better and better!!!

But thanks alot for your advice much appreciated!

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Try a new USB cable? Or more specifically, a new whatever-cable-is-used-to-connect-it cable.

Bear in mind. You are dealing with electronics. Even brand new electronics, due to the assembly line and fast nature of assembly, have failures. Electronic equipment will typically work until something causes it not to work. Usually this "something" is too much electricity, shorted connections or failing components (such as relays that are just worn out. these things are microscopic).

Personally, If you just bought this, I would return it and try another manufacturer. While WD is a decent brand name for HDs, I own one of the Passport drive enclosures (500GB) and I'm not a huge fan. The automatic loading software is annoying when I just want to store data. Unfortunately, many manufacturers have done this. I believe the only drive I have found that does not have an autorun application for "installation" is my Iomega 500GB travel drive. Plug and Play for sure.

Reaction score
If i install new ram is it simply plug and play? Brand Suggestions? if mine is ddr2 is ddr3 directly compatible?

Last edited:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
No, DDR2 cannot be swapped for DDR3. The chips will not physically match up, aside from other issues.

As with any purchase, don't go super cheap. A $5 memory module cannot be manufactured well. Also, don't go super expensive. You aren't running a data center with 99.99999999999999999% uptime.

I find that a nice avg price right in the middle or just south of the avg works just fine.

Ask a Question