Control Panel Anomaly ???

Richard

When we are in the CLASSIC view for the control panel in Windows XP, we have
an icon for MAIL which allows us to change several useful settings.
However, in the new CATEGORY VIEW we cannot seem to navigate anywhere to
find the old MAIL icon. Where is it? It also makes us wonder how many
other Control Panel essentials are missing from the new CATEGORY VIEW mode?

Nepatsfan

(e-mail address removed),
Richard said:
When we are in the CLASSIC view for the control panel in
Windows XP, we have an icon for MAIL which allows us to
change several useful settings. However, in the new CATEGORY
VIEW we cannot seem to navigate anywhere to find the old
MAIL icon. Where is it? It also makes us wonder how many
other Control Panel essentials are missing from the new
CATEGORY VIEW mode?

When in Category View, click on "Other Control Panel Options"
in the left hand column. You should now see the Mail icon. Hit
the back arrow in the toolbar or the backspace key to go back
to Control Panel.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Richard said:
When we are in the CLASSIC view for the control panel in Windows XP, we have
an icon for MAIL which allows us to change several useful settings.
However, in the new CATEGORY VIEW we cannot seem to navigate anywhere to
find the old MAIL icon. Where is it? It also makes us wonder how many
other Control Panel essentials are missing from the new CATEGORY VIEW
mode?

The Mail applet in the Control Panel gets installed at the
same time as you install Outlook.

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Jeff Teel

Hi David
As I read the post from Richard he is saying that Mail does not show when
viewing the Control panel in category view but does show when viewing in
Classic View. In fact Mail is accessible in the Category view by clicking on
User Accounts. If as you say "Mail isn't part of XP" why is it listed in a
clean install of XP and why does it point to Outlook Express for configuring
a mail application on the system? I would say that it is a part of XP.

Jeff

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Mail isn't part of XP. Whatever it is it wasn't registered for the Category
view.

Richard

That is true, but why doesn't the MAIL applet appear to show up in the new
XP CATEGORY VIEW? In Control Panel we can switch from the new CATEGORY VIEW
to the old CLASSIC VIEW and ... voila! ... there is the MAIL applet.

Richard

Interesting??? How can it appear for the CLASSIC VIEW in Control Panel but
not the CATEGORY VIEW. If it is registered for the one isn't it registered
for the other?

Richard

Very informative, David. But also very odd that we would have to manually register the MAIL applet when it is already visible from the CLASSIC view. What would be the motive for hiding the mail applet in the category view? You need that applet to add, remove, and edit Outlook profiles! It is also useful for maintaining Outlook mail accounts and data files. In other words, it's a pretty important tool.

David Candy

Mail isn't part of XP. Whatever it is it wasn't registered for the Category view.

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Your posts will have an incorrect time stamp for one week
unless you apply the MS patch. Same for all your EMails.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
My computer is correctly displaying the time. Of course the GMT time is out
for a week.

ANONYMOUS

British summer time has just begun at 01:00:00 gmt. So the time became
02:00:00

I also find that your time is ahead by one hour. I double checked my
time to see if I am wrong but I am certainly right.

I have rebooted my PC to adjust everything.

hth

Jeff Teel

Your right!!! I forget that Office adds those things that are Microsoft but
not actually a part of the OS. Does he have a mail client other than Outlook
that made "Mail" available in Classic View? If he does have Outlook he
should see it in Category View under User Accounts.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Mail isn't part of XP. What you refer to isn't what the person is talking
about. Mail does npt configure OE but Exchange clients like Outlook (Office
97 and later) and Schedule Plus (Office 95 or WfW3.11).

David Candy

Control Panel Categories

The Microsoft® Windows® XP Control Panel now supports categorization of Control Panel applications. Windows XP also has support for third parties to add Control Panel applications to categories.

Registering a Control Panel Application in a Category
You can register a Control Panel application in a particular category by adding a REG_DWORD entry indicating the desired category to the registry. The following example registry entry assigns the application MyCPL.cpl to the category Appearance and Themes. Details of the entry are discussed in the following sections.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Software
Microsoft
Windows
CurrentVersion
Control Panel
Extended Properties
{305CA226-D286-468e-B848-2B2E8E697B74} 2
%SystemRoot%\System32\MyCPL.cpl= [REG_DWORD] 0x00000001

The registry key {305CA226-D286-468e-B848-2B2E8E697B74} 2 is the container for all category entries. That key represents SCID_CONTROLPANELCATEGORY, and is composed of PSGUID_CONTROLPANEL and PID_CONTROLPANEL_CATEGORY, both defined in Shlguid.h.

The Name entry is the full path of your .cpl file, using environment variables if desired. The Value entry for that Name should be one of the category IDs listed in the following section, stored as a REG_DWORD.

a.. 0x00000000 : Other Control Panel Options. Any Control Panel application that does not specify a category ID is put in this category.
b.. 0x00000001 : Appearance and Themes.
c.. 0x00000002 : Printers and Other Hardware.
d.. 0x00000003 : Network and Internet Options.
e.. 0x00000004 : Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices.
f.. 0x00000005 : Performance and Maintenance
g.. 0x00000006 : Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options.
h.. 0x00000007 : Accessibility Options.
i.. 0x00000008 : Add or Remove Programs.
j.. 0x00000009 : User Accounts.
k.. 0xFFFFFFFF : Do not add to any category.
The categories Add or Remove Programs and User Accounts work somewhat differently from other categories in Control Panel. When one or more applications are added to one of these two categories, the associated link in Control Panel opens a category page. The registered applications appear in the lower portion of the page under the heading "or Pick a Control Panel icon". When no applications are registered for one of these categories, the associated link in Control Panel directly invokes the standard Windows application for that category.

The parent key name Extended Property derives from the fact that you can access this property from script through the ExtendedProperty method on the ShellFolderItem object. The following sample Microsoft JScript® code enumerates the Control Panel items and their category identifiers (IDs).

Show Example

var strSCID = "{305CA226-D286-468e-B848-2B2E8E697B74} 2";
var shell = new ActiveXObject("Shell.Application");
var cpls = shell.Namespace(3).Items(); // 3 is the ID for Control Panel

for (i=0; i < cpls.Count; i++)
{
var fldrItem = cpls.Item(i);
Document.write("The cpl " + fldrItem.Name +
" belongs to category id " +
ldrItem.ExtendedProperty(strSCID));
}

For Control Panel applications that are implemented as Shell namespace extensions—for example, fonts or scheduled tasks—specify the category ID in the registry under the CLSID entry. For example, the registry entry for the Administrative Tools folder is as follows:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
CLSID
{D20EA4E1-3957-11D2-A40B-OC5020524153}
{305CA226-D286-468e-B848-2B2E8E697B74} 2= [REG_DWORD] 0x00000005

In this case, you create a value named {305CA226-D286-468e-B848-2B2E8E697B74} 2, then store the category ID as a REG_DWORD as before.

© 2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

David Candy

My computer is correctly displaying the time. Of course the GMT time is out for a week.

Uncle Grumpy

Are you reading all of the replies moron?

Mail appears under User Accounts in category review.

David Candy

Mail isn't part of XP. What you refer to isn't what the person is talking about. Mail does npt configure OE but Exchange clients like Outlook (Office 97 and later) and Schedule Plus (Office 95 or WfW3.11).

David Candy

How do I know why MS didn't register Outlook. I NEVER install OL. Maybe it's older than XP.

Wolf Kirchmeir

Richard said:
Interesting??? How can it appear for the CLASSIC VIEW in Control Panel but
not the CATEGORY VIEW. If it is registered for the one isn't it registered
for the other?

Category View is one of those improvements that isn't one. MS has
rearranged things (as other posters have helpfully described.) Why do
they do it? Because they can.

David Candy

I know but I'm not responsible for stupid commonwealth games (previously known as the Empire Games). They don't play cricket or real football.