Continual reboot-HELP

Reaction score
OK....where to start....
I have a Maxtor 40 gig HD w/sp2. Whenever I tried to burn a CD, Windows would crash and restart. Now, it continually restarts and won't let me into Windows at all. Safe Mode, Last Good Config, Debugging all will not work- the computer just starts the POST over.

I can see the black screen that says "Windows XP Professional" w/the little green bar showing that its loading, but its just when the screen should change to the blue login screen that it restarts.

I have another Maxtor 40 gig HD that I loaded XP onto, hoping I could slave the old HD to it and retrieve important docs, but when I was installing SP1, the dang thing froze, and it too now goes through this endless boot process.

So, I installed XP onto this old, old 8 Gig HD (lost the jumpers many years ago). I won't install any updates or anything until someone can tell me what the heck is going on.

My Specs:

Windows XP Professional
Aopen AK73 Pro Motherboard (BIOS is Award 6.00PG)
Creative Live! Sound card
ATI All-in-Wonder video card
TDK 24/10/40x CD/RW
Athlon 1.3 G processor
512 MB RAM (RAM is good, I checked it with Ramtest86)

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Ask a Question