Contacts/AddressBook in Outlook

Jim Robinson

I changed over from Outlook Express to Outlook. I
imported my address book to Contacts. I created groups
for my contacts, such as Family, Friends, Business, etc.
However when I make new mail, Outlook only shows me the
whole list of contacts in alphanumeric sequence, not by
the groupings. How can I look for addresses within the
groupings?

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

State your Outlook version and what you mean by groups.
Outlook does not use groups.

Jim Robinson

Sorry. Poor choice of words. I should have said "category"

In Outlook Express, my address book was arranged by what
I called groups, or folders. I named them such as
Family, Friends, Business and kept the appropriate
contacts or addresses in them.
When I switched to Outlook ver. 2002(10.6515.6625)SP3, I
imported my Outlook Express address book into my new
Contacts list. I then went in and created "categories".
When I try to address an outgoing email, I get only the
straight sequenced contact list. Not by category.
However, when I click on Categories in the Folders list,
I get the categories list, with + by each category, and I
can click the + to expand and see each item within. But
I can't address an email from there.
What I would really like to see is my address list with
expandable categories or folders when I click on a button
to address new email. Do I have to go back to OE to have
that function> Thanks for your help.
Lost and confused.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
I changed over from Outlook Express to Outlook. I
imported my address book to Contacts. I created groups
for my contacts, such as Family, Friends, Business, etc.
However when I make new mail, Outlook only shows me the
whole list of contacts in alphanumeric sequence, not by
the groupings. How can I look for addresses within the
groupings?

.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

The Outlook Address Book cannot be sorted by Category.
Nor do you need it to.
You've already discovered the view you need to use.
Just click on the Category header > Actions > New Message to Contact
Voila.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Jim Robinson said:
[...]

Thanks for your help. It seems a bit cumbersomb but that
may just be because of the newness. I can do what I want
now, thanks. I did have to adjust what fields showed, I
only needed two, name and email address.
Thanks for being there,

Jim Robinson
[...]

I think the Outlook developers are trying to wean us away from our
dependence on the "Address Book" and move us toward using the Contacts
Folder as our primary interface for address selection. It does take some
getting used to.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
[...]