connection icon missing from taskbar

Reaction score
Help Please, My internet connection Icon (two little monitors near the clock) is missing from my task bar.
It means that i have to restart my pc to get disconected from the internet. im running XP pro sp2.
Can someone tell me how to get them back.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
try the following

right click the clock> customize notifications> then find the icon and set it to always show

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Go to Start>Settings>Network Connections>Local Area Connection>Properties>Show icon in notification area when connected.

Reaction score
Customize notifications is greyed out. also in network connections the box is ticked for show icon when connected

Reaction score
I now managed to open Customize notifications but the connection icon is not on the list.

.-=ManQ=-.

<a href="http://www.boltonpc.co.uk">BoltonPC</a> R
Reaction score
I assume its a modem dial up connection ?

Right click on the task bar and cick properties.

Select Task Bar tab and deselct "hide inacive icons"

Although your onnection icon shouldnt be inactive.

If all else fails, uninstall and reinstall your modem.

If all else fails, get a 2lb lump hammer and . . . . . . . .

Reaction score
Couldnt find the 2lb Lump Hammer...Got a 7lb sledge Hammer, Do you think that would do the same Job ??????
I have discovered that this icon is only missing in guest account,which is the default for the pc.
if i log in as administrator the icon apears in the taskbar.

Last edited:

.-=ManQ=-.

<a href="http://www.boltonpc.co.uk">BoltonPC</a> R
Reaction score
Must be a left handed anti-static sledge hammer with a USB 2.0 handle butt!

If you can find one, then try this:

go to dial up networking and right click on your ISP connection icon.

Click on the general tab and select "show icon in notifiacation area when connected"

Good luck !

Reaction score
tried that manq it is already ticked.
discovered that the icon will show if logged in as administrator.
Pc is normally in guest account.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think you'll find this post most interseting...
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2061977.php

It's a way to be logged in as administrator, but not suffer a lot of the security holes we face when doing so.

As for the icon not appearing, Guest accounts are very *very* restricted as to what they can do. I'd suggest giving the guest account 'User' level access (by adding it to the users group, via your admin account).

If that doesn't fix it, I'd be interested in knowing the steps involved for you to connect to the internet.

If the guest can go to dial-up networking and see the modem connection, they should be able to double-click it to either dial, or bring up the 'currently connected' window that would pop up if you double-clicked the icon in the task bar. (if guest cannot see the modem connection in dial up networking, then we know this is a security based issue).

If the guest account is the one executing the connection, then they should be able to see the 'connected' icon in the task tray. But, If it's invoked by the admin account automatically, then it's running on that account, hence, guest wouldn't "see" the program (or the connection icon).

Imagine being connected to a network, where your PC isn't the dialer. If another PC is your 'host' and dials the connection, the 'host' would see the modem connection icon, but the client would not.

This really seems like a permissions based issue, in that the guest account has no access to view/modify/change connection details.

Questions:
Has this ever worked before?
If so, what has changed? (i.e. fresh install, or new account creation).
Who created the actual modem connection?
Is it asked to force dial upon detection of an internet request? (if so, I'd disable this).
What security "groups" is your guest account assigned?

Reaction score
PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!

(this was a reply intended for another post, therefore, removed!)

Reaction score
.-=ManQ=-. said:
Must be a left handed anti-static sledge hammer with a USB 2.0 handle butt!

If you can find one, then try this:

go to dial up networking and right click on your ISP connection icon.

Click on the general tab and select "show icon in notifiacation area when connected"

Good luck !

I came across this same problem on my daughters computer today after updating Java. Had me tearing my hair out. But, you solved it for me and saved the day. The little televisions are now merrily flashing away. ManQ, I am indebted to you.
Nimrod

Ask a Question