Confused about SFC

Josef Stalin

Comrade,

Mother Russia calls upon your loyal dedicated services once again.

I loaded a different version of a bootdisk from bootdisk.com that had
scandisk on it. The version that I've been using for years only had chkdsk.
I ran scandisk on my 'C' drive and found a bunch of problem that chkdsk
never found. Moral of the story is that if you don't have NTFS, use
scandisk instead of chkdsk.

One curious problem that scandisk detected was the existence of the file
\\winnt\system32\colbaXt.dll where 'X' is actually the heart shaped
character. Doing a directory search of dir /s c:\colba?t.dll to find out
what the actual file name was, I found 2 instances of colbact.dll where the
2nd instance was in C:\WINNT\ServicePackFiles\i386. There was a recent
thread how one should never remove the ServicePackFiles directory since SFC
needs that directory to protect your critical system files but apparently
SFC wasn't working as advertised I went to another one of my home computers
and found 3 instances of that file. So I ran SFC /scannow to make sure that
everything was fine and SFC asked me to put in my W2K disk. What's the point
of all this redundancy if SFC still needs the W2K disk anyway? Why not just
blow the extra directories away?

BTW: I couldn't seem to understand what function colbact.dll serves. From
what I read, it sounds like a critical file but my system "seems" to be
running fine without it anyway.

Uncle Josef

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "Josef Stalin" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
Subject: Confused about SFC
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 06:55:29 -0500

Comrade,

[...]

---

Josef,

I know the file Colbact.dll is part of the COM+ architecture but I am not sure what its specific roll is.

The Service Pack does not update all of the protected files and they are not all in the DLLCACHE folder so the system has
to ask for the CD for the files that are not in any of these other locations.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Josef Stalin

Josef,

I know the file Colbact.dll is part of the COM+ architecture but I am not
sure what its specific roll is.
The Service Pack does not update all of the protected files and they are
not all in the DLLCACHE folder so the system has
to ask for the CD for the files that are not in any of these other locations.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

Thank you for the info.

Josef