Computer Reboots Randomly

G

I have two computers networked together with a router, using a cable modem. This has just been installed - everything was OK. Now, one computer will just randomly reboot. No warning, no message - it just reboots. Sometimes, it seems as though it may have something to do with clicking onto a new program. If we click on a program, it reboots. Click on the icon for email, it reboots. I have scanned and checked this computer for viruses and worms. It is totally clean. Need some help on this matter. This computer is used all day in my business - my employee is ready to explode!! SHe has lost many artwork projects she was creating because the thing just reboots.

D

dev

/sue/ said:
I have two computers networked together with a router, using a cable modem. This has just been installed - everything was OK. Now, one computer will just randomly reboot. No warning, no message - it just reboots. Sometimes, it seems as though it may have something to do with clicking onto a new program. If we click on a program, it reboots. Click on the icon for email, it reboots. I have scanned and checked this computer for viruses and worms. It is totally clean. Need some help on this matter. This computer is used all day in my business - my employee is ready to explode!! SHe has lost many artwork projects she was creating because the thing just reboots.

To see the error message, instead of a reboot, go to Control
Panel|SYSTEM|ADVANCED tab|START UP & RECOVERY and UNcheck the
"automatically restart" box. Then begin your sleuthing here...

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

M

Mike

dev said:
/sue/ said:

To see the error message, instead of a reboot, go to Control
Panel|SYSTEM|ADVANCED tab|START UP & RECOVERY and UNcheck the
"automatically restart" box. Then begin your sleuthing here...

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

I had the same thing after Windows Update. I unchecked the automatically
restart box as noted by dev after which at crash I got a blue screen with an
error message. Mine was DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and the tech info was
concerning a file named ALCXWDM.SYS. I googled these and found the file is a
audio driver for Realtek AC'97. I updated these drivers and the crashes
stopped. Whatever blue screen message you get google it and you will most
likely need update a driver. Hope this is of some help.

Ask a Question