Computer question

Reaction score
Recently I have been experiencing some problems with my computer. I just bought a new sound card (creative sound blaster x-fi fatality) after installing it i was in the process of putting the side of the case back on when the corner of the side hit a 4 pin molex connector causeing a spark. Immediately after the computer shut off. I then put the side of the case back on and rebooted. Everything stated again and seemed to be fine. But now i only get around 60 or 70 fps when playing counter strike source. Before this happened i would get in excess of 100 on high settings.

Here are my computer specs.
Intel Q6600, Msi P6N Platinum, G.Skill 4GB, EVGA 8800GTX, WD 150GB 10,000 RPM, Silverstone ST75F 750W power supply, creative sound blaster x-fi fatality.

Also my computer freezes randomly and when i ctrl alt delete it shows my cpu usage at around 35 then spikes to 40 or 50 with no programs running.

I really am just wondering if there is anything i can do to fix this. Feed back will be greatly appreciated thank you.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
It might help if you could tell us what the molex was connected to .

user.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The problems you're experiencing are more likely a result of adding the sound card than from the temporary short you caused with the case side/molex connector.

The CPU now has a little more work to do and the sound card is also drawing more current from your PSU than previously was being drawn.

I think a PSU upgrade may be in order, although I have to admit a Silverstone 750W should easily cope with your system.

You could try taking out the sound card and seeing if things improve temporarily.

If they don't it is just possible your spark may have damaged something but I doubt it.

Also try substituting the molex connector in question with an alternative from the PSU loom.

Reaction score
The molex was just a spare. Although it was connected to another molex which was connected to a case fan.

Ask a Question