computer locks itself!

Brenda

My computer has recently begun to lock itself. I go to log
on in the morning and there is a message that the computer
has been locked and a password is needed to unlock it. I
can't do anything! I have never locked it myself and have
not set up a password to lock or unlock it. I can't even
seem to find that option anywhere. Can anyone offer a
suggestion? It only unlocks if I shut it down and restart.
Thanks for any help!

pauly [MSFT]

Hi Brenda,

It sounds like you have either a screen saver password set or a power
management password set - even though you do not recall setting it.

1. Right-click on your desktop and select 'Properties'.

2. Select the Screen Saver tab and then uncheck 'On resume, password
protect'

3. Click on the Apply button.

4. Also on the Screen Saver tab click on the 'Power ..." button

5. Click on the Advanced Tab and uncheck 'Prompt for password when computer
resumes from standby' .

6. Click Apply

7. Click OK twice to close these dialogs.

=========

Windows XP Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/security/default.asp

Windows 2000 Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/security/default.asp

Top 10 Windows Newsgroups Security Questions:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/newsgroups/default.asp?url=/technet/newsgro
ups/nodepages/sectop10.asp

=========
Paul Hayes, MCSE