Computer freezes!

G

Hello,

I am totally computer illiterate, so bear with me on this:

My computer freezes for about a few seconds to a minute, every so many seconds or minutes. The freezing time and frequency of freezing varies. This started about a few weeks or so ago, and it's getting progressively worse. I did add some new programs over the last few weeks and some of them are intense - Poser 5, and Bryce 5. But the programs seem to be working fine except for the temporary freezes which I experience even when running MS Word, typing a manuscript. My computer should have more than enough resources to take Poser and Bryce. The freezes started a while after I put Poser on the computer and worked with it for a couple of weeks. The problems were before I added Bryce.

It freezes regardless of what I'm doing - surfing the web, writing an email, working in word, etc.

Nothing is lost when it freezes and programs don't 'shut down' Everything just stops for a bit, then resumes.

Freezing occurs sometimes right away after starting my computer, sometimes during start up or shut down, and some times not until I run the computer for awhile. My outlook express is also now quirky - not letting me change identies. And on occasions, although not today or yesterday, around the same time the computer freezes it seems to be 'searching' the e drive. The curser appears on my screen with a little cd disk next to it, but there's no disk in the drive. Usually after it does this, it freezes.

Temperatures are OK around CPU 47 degree, system 46 degree C, cpu fan speed 5815 rpm, 1.49 Vcore for the Vcore, 3.51v for the 3.3V, 5.13v, for the +5V, 12.00v for the+12V.

Good Mem: runs between 278 and 444 (approx)

This is what I have for a computer:

Local Disk - Total capacity 149.05 GB
Used: 16.70 Free: 132.34 Gb

Memory RAM: Capacity 512 MB
Operating System: Windows XP Pro version 5.1.2600 Service Pak 1

Processor: AMD 64 Processor 3000+
Speed 2000 MHz

I hope I included enough info here for someone to point me in the right direcction. Also sorry for the long post :) Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Ask a Question