Windows XP computer failing to boot

Reaction score
I hope I'm ding the right thing as a new memeber!! My OTHER computer has a missing/corrupt WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM file. The computer is loaded with Windows XP as OEM. I therefore have no CD. I have downloaded the RegCureSetup onto an external drive, question is how do I get this into the OTHER computer which is failing to boot?

Reaction score
malcray said:
I hope I'm ding the right thing as a new memeber!! My OTHER computer has a missing/corrupt WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM file. The computer is loaded with Windows XP as OEM. I therefore have no CD. I have downloaded the RegCureSetup onto an external drive, question is how do I get this into the OTHER computer which is failing to boot?

Hi and welcome to the forum....
happywave.gif
happywave.gif
happywave.gif

Well if the comp isn't booting, you're not going to be able to get Regcure onto it. The computer you are using now to send this post, is it also on XP...? If it is then you can use that disk on your broken machine to do a repair install....

Reaction score
malcray

Madxgraphics said:
Hi and welcome to the forum....
happywave.gif
happywave.gif
happywave.gif

Well if the comp isn't booting, you're not going to be able to get Regcure onto it. The computer you are using now to send this post, is it also on XP...? If it is then you can use that disk on your broken machine to do a repair install....

This computer(laptop) is on Vista. The other computer is not booting because of the SYSTEM32 corruption. Can I use a friends XP CD which won't have the right code?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Yes if it is the same version of Windows ie: XP home or XP PRO. you could extract the files you need and install them via a Linux Live CD also.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Thank you for that, but I'm not understanding the "Linux Live CD". You are making me a little happier though!

Reaction score
malcray said:
Thank you for that, but I'm not understanding the "Linux Live CD". You are making me a little happier though!

Linux Live CD is an OS that can run from a CD, you need notinstall it on your hard drive.
If you have a friends XP CD, stick it in your machine and do a repair install. You won't need to enter any product key as you are doing a repair, not a clean instalation....:thumb:

Abarbarian said:
you could extract the files you need and install them via a Linux Live CD also

Quite pointless extracting the files, burning them to disk or copying them to a flash drive when you have or can borrow an XP CD :p

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Linux Live CD is an OS that can run from a CD, you need notinstall it on your hard drive.
If you have a friends XP CD, stick it in your machine and do a repair install. You won't need to enter any product key as you are doing a repair, not a clean instalation....:thumb:

Quite pointless extracting the files, burning them to disk or copying them to a flash drive when you have or can borrow an XP CD :p

Xp Pro does not have the repair facility on disc, you have to install it yourself, not that simple a job.

Replacing files with a Linux CD can all be done with a GUI, something that most folk are familiar with.

Does the reapair program on the windows disc run from the command line ??

Knowing two ways of skinning a cat is never pointless :p

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
XP does indeed have a "repair" install ...

How do you perform a reinstallation of Windows XP, sometimes called a repair installation?

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information about how to do this, refer to your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart your computer.

1. When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

2. Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

3. Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

4. In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

5. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

Any XP CD will do as long as you use Home for Home & Pro for Pro ... use your Key if called upon.

:user:

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice! I will give it a go later this week when I can get hold of the XP CD. I'll let you know if I'm successful.
Thanks again!

Malcray

Ask a Question