computer cannot see any videos

Reaction score
ive got a problem here.. it may seems small but ill be totally gful to anyone who can help me solve it. You see, ive got a sharp Viewmz VL-Z500 camcorder, of which i want to upload my videos from it into my computer. Ive got a dv slot, a firewire cable, and a firewire card to which i can plug in. I do plug in, and my computer does detect a device when i turn the connected cam on. But now when i want to take a look at the ideos inside, the computer says it cannot detect any videos inside. the exact video msg is "reation of the video preview failed. Please check the evice connection and make sure that the device is not being used by another applicaiton or user." and then all i see is an empty folder.

i really REALLY need the videos.. its for a project. ANY help is totally appreciated!!

thanks!

Reaction score
Idea... ?

Hi,

If you can enable streaming from your camera through your firewire cable/card to the PC; then Windows Movie Maker will allow you to encode this to your hard drive!

(Are you using Windows XP?)

Give a full breakdown of your system - Hardware and Software; then we'll have more idea of what is/isn't available to you.

Should be able to get it cracked though :user:

Cheers
Kev

Reaction score
I hope you have the Software which was supplied with the camera, mate - Drivers for this one aren't that easy to locate - but not impossible ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
My com specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon Spee: 1045 MHz
RAM: 512 MB
Operating System: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Graphics Card: RAGE 128 GL PCI

anyways i think the main problem now is capturing of the video. When i started windows movie maker. If i chose capture whole tape automatically,
it would rewind fine, but when it came to capturing, an error came up. "an unknown error occured".

please help thx. Will be totally grateful.

Reaction score
Have you installed the necessary driver(s)?
Do you see your camera listed as a device, when connected; in Device Manager?
If you have the software that came with the camera, I would recommend you reinstall it.
Did you not receive any capture software when you purchased the camera?
If you wish to pursue the "an unknown error occured" with Windows Movie Maker - please look into http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Forums/

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Your specs are low, that may be the problem.

Minimum processor speed for any computer handling video files, particularly for editing and rendering, is 1.6Ghz. You have 1Ghz.

512Mb is absolute minimum memory and the RAGE PCI card really don't cut the mustard.

I plug a Sanyo camcorder into my machine via USB port and it sees the camcorder as an external hard drive, I just copy and paste captured video files. Doesn't actually need any software.

Ask a Question