I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Use the USB cable that came with it. :)

Welcome to PCReview. :cool:

Reaction score
the problem is that it has 2 cables:
1 - usb (used for photos)
2 - firmwire (used for videos)

with photos is no problem.... but videos.... can't reach them....

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I assume that this usb adapter will make the necessary dings to indicate that it is connected. Is this correct?

Also, does your camera have a power connection? Is it powered when you try to connect the unit to the computer? USB ports only push out a small amount of power. You may need to power it with the adapter that you have. It may not pass the "juice" the way you need it. Example: many travel hard drives require two usb connections to supply enough power to run the drive properly.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, power the camcorder up from it's adapter, plug in the usb lead, go to 'My Computer' and see if the camcorder shows up as a drive.

If it does then cut/copy and paste.

If it doesn't, basically, you're stuffed, you'll need to buy a Firewire PCI card for your computer.

Oh, hang on, it's a laptop. Hmm, do they make external firewire to usb adapters for laptops? I have no idea meself, have never really used (certainly never owned) a laptop.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
OP linked to one in the first post. I looked at it. it's a small adapter. USB A on one side, Firewire female on the other. I anticipate that it is a "straight" wire through.

For adapters, I would buy a fire wire hub that has external power and connects via USB to the laptop.

Last edited:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
There is a very good chance that this will help you. Try it first without installing drivers. Just plug it in and let Windows do its thing.

Ask a Question