DV device not recognised

Reaction score
The strangest thing keeps happening.

When I try to connect my Panasonic DV camcorder via Firewire to my PC (capturing using Windows Movie Maker) the DV device does not show up. When I connect using USB, the DV does show up. (It doesn't show up in My Computer either on Firewire, but DOES on USB - so it's not just a Movie Maker problem)

HOWEVER: when I remove the 1394 card from the PCI slot on my mobo, then replace it in a different slot, the DV device DOES show up and I capture lovely DV without a second's thought.

BUT: when I next restart the computer, the DV device has disappeared.

If I replace the 1934 card in another slot (again) then BINGO - it works, until I shut down and restart my computer.

1. The IEEE 1394 is properly installed, everything in Device Manager looks as it should do. Drivers are within spec.

2. There are no obvious IRQ conflicts

3. The Firewire cable has been checked and is OK

4. The Panasonic DV camcorder has correct drivers (in Windows XP)

5. I don't think it's a Firewall issue on the 1394 connection.

6. I've tried uninstalling the 1394 software and then getting Windows to reinstate, which is does, but without solving the problem.

Set-up:
Windows XP Home (SP2)
Asus A7V mobo
AMD Athlon CPU (32-bit)1.2GHz
1056MB PC133 SDRAM
1394 card is unbranded (3 x external ports and 1 x internal port)
Radeon 7200 video card

Any ideas and solutions gratefully accepted.

Last edited:

Ask a Question