Computer appears to be constantly "running"

My computer seems to be constantly "starting up" as in it always sounds like
it does when you intially turn on the computer. It affects overall
performance/speed and makes it very difficult to use the mouse and keyboard.
For instance, if I am typing in a field and the mouse pointer is elsewhere on
the screen, the pointer will turn into the hourglass and take the cursor out
of the field I was typing in. Very frustrating indeed. It appears when I
check Task Manager Processes, the computer is running far too many processes
even though I may be in one or two programs...any suggestions?

I've scanned for viruses multiple times using Norton and I have also
performed a Disk Cleanup, Defrag, deleted temporary files, etc. Now the
problem seems to be only when I'm using Internet Explorer...for example, the
bar on top of the screen showing what application I'm in ("Windows XP
Newsgroups - Microsoft Internet Explorer", for example), will dim like I'm
using another application even though I'm not...does that make sense?

first spyware is differt then virus.antivirus can't detect it.but it can mess
up ur pc
inside windows xp security center there are 2 boxs 1 to download microsoft
anti spyware which is differt then what norten looks for...what i was
thinking was for u to download spybot.but this is dam deffacult!!! becasue
there are so many copys that are virus.and something is wrong whith the new
spybot v1.4 but if u get verson 1.3 which u can't update but it dosn't
matter.u would click (up in tool bar)
advance user..then on left side click tools the click start up to the right
bottem u see everything in start up reg.on left theres a bar u drage it 40%
to the left.in left box u click first item then read box on right.then click
next item.i did this and the box on the right said virus!! my norten had
missed it becasue it was in reg.i clicked the red x up above to delete.but
some stuff u see must b left alone.u could
damage windows!but u can un check stuff u don't want to start.but check
first that its not something windows really needs to keep working.then on
left (way left)
under tools click BHO's to see what browser helpers where added to
browser.also click x's that have been added to browser.there are MANY tools
in spybot!!! if u get spybot click the ignor list it shows what spybot can
detect BUT CHECK IT CAREFULLY.u will see sales men have some boxs checked so
spybot won't see the advertiseing!! uncheck!!