comp wont turn on/no power going through.

Reaction score
i have no idea whats wrong with it... basically, last night it started runnin slow n some programmes crashed so i scanned for viruses with a couple different prog's and removed al infections, n it still seemed abit screwy. so i re-booted and it go to the black windows load page with the little moving thingy majiggy (haha) and then a blue screen with writing would flash for a split second then the comp re-started, i tried again a few times n it did the same thing, so i tried in safe mode, and it still didnt start up. so i left it turned off for the night and this morning thought ok ill re-install windows, just replace the windows files as i have loads of files on my hard drive that i NEED and was due to back-up today, and it was installing fine, it came to the installing devices part got about just over half way through installing devices and the comp cut out and now it wont turn back on, its as if there is no power going to it.

could there be a chance my power supply and/or motherboard have shorted out???.. i dunno what the blue screen with writing said cos it didnt last any longer than like half a second. thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Bsod

BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) not a good sign, have you played inside the case recently and knocked something? How olds the PC & what make is it?

Reaction score
not been in the case for mooooooooooonths simply cos im allways full of static, so i stay away from going inside if i can help it.

it worked PERFECT yesterday day time then last night b4 i went to bed, the hard drive was working over-time then after scanning i re-booted and the blue screen came up n then rebooted, just like a really quick flash of the blue screen... its like i dunno just started outta no where :(

Reaction score
hang on i just realised something i didnt before.

sometimes on the re-boots it wasnt doing the memory test and sometimes it was, could these be related?

as for make, everything has been bought seperate n comp built to my standards e.t.c.... i cnt remember exactly wat it was though n i cnt have a look on the comp cos i cnt turn i on *cries*

Reaction score
Open case up and take out RAM Memory then put them back in, check they are seated ok, then see what happens? Could be a problem with RAM, how old is the Motherboard? Have you had any power surge??

Reaction score
would that make a difference though??? i mean like, would that be a problem to make a difference between it turning on and nothing happening what so ever when i press the on button?

Reaction score
Well if you have had a surge of power the Motherboard could be a problem, the BSOD is a worry though. Could just be something has worked loose in side the case??

Reaction score
nothing is loose inside it but i removed the memory n put it back, and still nothing :(

Reaction score
Have you got a spare PSU you could fit and that could show yours is duff?

Reaction score
i havent :( my mums boyfriend might do but he is on holiday so i cant get into his flat to check, grrrr

main thing im worried bout is loosing stuff from my hard drive, cos i make music and im working on my demo at the minute and cant afford to loose everything otherwise ill have to start all over again :( but still, need to figure the prob so i can keep recording.

so u think it could me the power supply or the motherboard then?

Reaction score
actually my friend had a similar problem,

what error came up when you started windows?

ps. remember to base yourself when having a poke around your pc :)

Reaction score
Could be, the problem is when you dont have the pc in front of you it can be at times difficult to say. How old is the motherboard & (PSU) power supply unit.

Reaction score
i dunno what the error was.

the blue screen would come up after the windows loading screen n the lights on my keyboard flashed and like the instant the blue screen came on, it went off, basically it was too fast to get a word from it.

motherboard is gigabyte GA-7N400 (or 4000) on of the 2 ... and random guess that the power supply is maybe year n half old??? dunno, my mums boyfriend put that in for me.

Ask a Question