Communications breakdown

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Sorry but i had to share this one. I am currently in the process of changing my ISP from telecom (after they pulled a dodgy little ripoff on me) to Telstra clear. All well & good so far... except I started this change over in July... The shifting of telephone accounts happened almost immediately as promised & I was told that it would take about 2 weeks for them to get the Broadband connection transfer sorted out with telecom, after which i would be sent out a changeover pack with the new codes to put in, after which all would be hunky-dory. Time passed... & passed... & passed and still no codes. I must admit that I wasn't too bothered about it. xtra have always given me excellent service & good customer support & if they weren't a part of telecom I would certainly still be with them.
Finally, 4 days ago, on the 7th of November, the codes at last arrived complete with a warning that this process must be carried out on the 3rd of November because after that telecom would either suspend my internet service, or alternatively start charging me at a rate of 20c/MB since I was no longer officially a customer of theirs. The letter was dated the 3rd of November.
Now I'm sure that some of you are starting to notice a slight conflict here. Obviously we are somewhat more observant than the person who typed the letter. As you can guess I immediately contacted customer service at Telstra clear enquiring just who was going to pay for my internet useage over the intervening days. After a little pushing (at first she tried to blame it on NZpost until I pointed out that the letter hadn't even been typed until the 3rd itself) After which she had a chat to her boss & they conceeded that they might consider paying the difference if I present them with the actuall telecom bill after it arrived. I must admit that I was hoping for a bit more comittment than "Might consider" But it was obvious that I wasn't going to get any more from her so I decided that I'd take it up with whoever when the actuall bill does come in. The letter informed me of my new username & that my password had been emailed to me for security reasons. I hung up & went to make the transfer... Yep, you guessed it, no email, no password.
Back on the phones again, luckily the person I got this time was somewhat more helpful & took the time to make a full record of my adventures on their database. He also informed me that the username that I had been sent was wrong & should have the letters .dsl inserted. He was also able to provide me with my password over the phone (so much for security).
Since I had purchased my modem from xtra all of the software I possessed was for the purpose of setting up an xtra account & so I followed the advice in the Letter telling me to phone up the manufacturers of the modem, using the phone number Telstra clear had provided, & they would talk me through the process. According to the letter, this was standard proceedure. According to the person at D-link he had no idea what I was on about! Nevertheless he was able to talk me through the process & all was, at last, done.

I can now rest safe at nights, assured of the competence & efficiency of my new internet providers. This is obviously one communications company that is right on the ball!! ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
better get it off your chest then ...

Well I don't know what the problem is ... this is ALL quite "normal" for any telecommunications company ... they are still learning that customers are not pay-checks but real people.

It took NTL here, 3 months to figure out I was no longer one of their customers, and to stop sending me fictitious bills ... and don't 'complain' to BT as you will have 3-4 people phoning you up asking what the 'problem' is, and still have the wrong department, and saying you got the wrong number ... HUH! you phoned ME, you plonkers.

We ALL have a similar 'story' to tell ... don't we folks. :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
We ALL have a similar 'story' to tell ... don't we folks. :D

Oh yes! Took me almost a month just to get a phone line active - it was left in someone elses name and they wouldn't charge me and put it in my name. Could have had some fun with that ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
AAAAGGHHH

My Internet keeps going off ... 3 hours ... I nearly hung myself ... sad, init. :rolleyes:

Ask a Question