Commandline printing

A W2k Prof Client, SP4, all important and Security Patches installed (maybe
thats a problem)
working as a Print server with a direct connected old small hp Laserjet on
LPT1:

Printing from the network with all applications works fine,
Printing local from Office works fine
but i am unable to print from the commandline with the print command.
The print command prompts that the documnet is printed but nothing happens
The copy command to LPT1: fails also.

I dont know the exact day it failed, but there is a batch task printing
over the commandline which failed and there was no changes.

Printing like this
net use LPT2: \\server\printershare isn't working

is there an easy to use script that can do that for me using other then the
commanline printer driver.

Reason is we must print every 20 minutes a blank sheet that will keep the
printer
alive, we got problemes if the printer falls into powersave mode.
thanks for your help

burkhard

Jason Tan

Hello,

Thanks for posting!

I suggest you print directly to the printer share by using the following
syntax at a command prompt

print /d:\\ printserver \ sharename drive :\ path \ filename

where printserver is the print server sharing the printer, where sharename
is the name of the printer share, and where drive: , path , and filename
make up the complete path of the document that you want to print.

For example, to print a document that is named letter.doc from the root
directory of drive C to a printer shared as Laser1 on a print server that
is named Pserver, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type cmd , and then click OK.
3. Type print /d:\\pserver\laser1 c:\letter.doc , and then press ENTER.

The following command-line message appears:
C:\letter.doc is currently being printed
4. To quit the command prompt, type exit , and then press ENTER.

For more detailed information please refer to the following article:

314499 How to print to a network printer from an MS-DOS-based program in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314499

You may use Schedule Tasks to run the script every 20 minutes. For more
detailed information please refer to the following article:

308569 How To Schedule Tasks in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308569

Hope the information helps.

Happy New Year!

Best Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?QnVTY2g=?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Commandline printing
| Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 04:12:02 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.applications
|
| A W2k Prof Client, SP4, all important and Security Patches installed
(maybe
| thats a problem)
| working as a Print server with a direct connected old small hp Laserjet
on
| LPT1:
|
| Printing from the network with all applications works fine,
| Printing local from Office works fine
| but i am unable to print from the commandline with the print command.
| The print command prompts that the documnet is printed but nothing happens
| The copy command to LPT1: fails also.
|
| I dont know the exact day it failed, but there is a batch task printing
| over the commandline which failed and there was no changes.
|
| Printing like this
| net use LPT2: \\server\printershare isn't working
|
| is there an easy to use script that can do that for me using other then
the
| commanline printer driver.
|
| Reason is we must print every 20 minutes a blank sheet that will keep the
| printer
| alive, we got problemes if the printer falls into powersave mode.
| thanks for your help
|
| burkhard

Hy Jason,
thanks for the quick answer.

I repeated all the steps, it was similar you told to me.
if printing to a network printer from the commandline the reply from the
print command was:
"\\printserver\print_share cant be initialized"

if doing it directly to LPT1 :
"document is printed"
but that was a ly ;-), nothinh happens

i find a solution in deleting all the printers on that printserver and
install them again with the same drivers and it works fine.
I dont know why, but......

Your info about the delay routine is what i need.

thanks again from germany
Burkhard

Jason Tan

Dear Burkhard

I appreciate your update and response, and I am glad to hear that the
information helps. If you have any other questions or concerns, please do
not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.