Shared printer disconnects when ethernet cable is removed

eljainc

Hello,

I have a strange situation that has recently started happening on a
Windows XP SP2 machine. It is a laptop that connects via a crossover
cable to another computer. On this machine, a local USB printer is
installed and is shared. Also, it is mapped to LPT1 via the NET USE

NET USE LPT1 \\LAPTOP\PRINTER

In the last couple of days when the network cable is unplugged from
the machine, then the user tries to send a document to print through
LPT1 the print job fails. Issuing a NET USE again shows LPT1 as
disconnected. This never used to happen. If I do a NET USE LPT1 /d
then NET USE LPT1 \\LAPTOP\PRINTER command, I get a network error 66.

How can this be fixed? There have been no updates to this machine via
Windows Update in recent times. I have file and printer sharing turned
on.

Thanks
Mike

The Real Truth MVP

If you pull the network cable then it IS disconnected. Unless you are saying
that the USB printer is connected to the the laptop via USB. If so then why
are you using the net use command? If the printer is connected to the other
computer then it is normal for it to get disconnected by unplugging the
network cable otherwise how are you going to print to it.

your time.

eljainc

I have a print share set up so that a USB printer can be accessed by
older software
that only understand LPT1/LPT2/etc.

However when the network cable is unplugged (not necessary for
printing),
the printing does not work and the print share doesn't work.

Bernd

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
[...]

A tricky solution:

http://geekswithblogs.net/dtotzke/articles/26204.aspx

By the way: I found that really tricky solution by googling
"lpt1 to usb network error 66"

The 1st hit !
The 2nd hit was your question ... ;-)

Bernd

Leythos

From: "The Real Truth MVP" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Re: Shared printer disconnects when ethernet cable is removed
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 12:27:29 -0700

Still stalking me in Usenet, creating an account in my name, proving you
are as vile and nasty as people say you are.

That's all the proof anyone needs to see you stalking me.

The Real Truth MVP

Is the printer connected to the laptop or the other computer?

your time.

From: "The Real Truth MVP" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 20:33:28 -0700

Still stalking me in your posts PCBUTTS?

Why would anyone trust a stalker, one that has posted links to pirated
software, one that has posted links to filthy pornographic files they
claim to have created?

Twayne