Command And Conquer Genrals

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
You should all know by now this is an RTS (Real Time Strategy) style game, where you have to make an army by building certain building and then defeat your enemy using all different kinds of strategies. First i'd like to start by telling y'all how much of a Command & Conquer fan i am, I think i've played just about all of them, PC and PSone versions, ive had some series 5 hour sessions on it, trying to devise a good enough strategy to defeat the difficult (but fair) AI. There has been around 10 alltogether, with the peak of the C&C series comming when C&C Red Alert was released, that sold like hot cakes. Then they released a few more upgraded version, with different vehicles, buildings, teams and loadsa other new items. Then EA come in and made C&C Renegade, a terrible terrible first person shooter, i was so let down! Then C&C Red Alert 2 come oiut, and it was alright i suppose, not as good as when EA didnt stick there noses in on the action. Then they finally released a game to justify the C&C series, Command & Conquer Genrals!!

Well as soon as you start your first game on C&C Genrals, whether it be skirmish or mission based, you will notice it is a completely new game. Its all 3D now, and it looks beautiful to be honest. The terrain looks real, the building look like you can make yourself small and go into them and the vehicles just look utterly fantastic.

There are 3 armys to choose from, the Americans, Chinese and a group called the GLA. The GLA are Afgahns by the look of it, they create biological weapons, they have that corner shop owner accent when you give them tasks to do. Each team has there good points, and each have there bad. With the GLA you have suicide bombers you can send in to try and penetrate the opposing forces defence and blow up a few buildings and also car bombs which will destory tanks instantly. But they have weak tanks, collection resources with them is slower than your granny on a treadmill and they're not the most technical advanced army either. Then you have the chinese, these have flame thrower tanks, hackers (which you can build loads of and they'll bring in the money like no ones business!), and these women who can hack into buildings and steal vehicles. There only weakness is the chinese tanks havent got the best armour and can be destroyed pretty easy. The americans are a good all round team, they have tanks that can take a few more shots than the chinese, they collect resources with big helicopters so you can get rich quick and they have alot of advanced technology like ION beams, which shoot a big beam of what seems to be electricity from the sky to destroy enemy buildings.

With each of the teams you have campain modes, where you will find yourself defending a village, or destroying chemical factorys (which are making weapons of mass destruction, most probably). These gradually get harder, with a nice learning curve.

My favourite style on C&C Genrals is the skirmish mode, where it just you against computer AI or a friend via LAN or the Internet. The aim is just to destoy the opponent/s by any means. There are loads of maps to choose from, big, small, loads of resources, hardly any etc etc.

The controls to C&C Genrals is relativly simple, all you really need is your mouse (though there are a few shot cuts on the keyboard). With these easy controls it makes the battles more enjoyable.

Well this is my favourite in the C&C series, it has everything you would want from a War Sim/RTS. I have to give this 8/10, i woulda liked to have seen double the amout of teams and a few more tanks for each team.

Minimum PC Specs:
Windows 98/2000/ME/XP
Intel Pentium III/AMD Athlon 800MHz
128MB RAM
3.2GB Hard Drive
8 x CD-ROM
32MB Direct3D Video Card
DirectX compatible Sound Card
DirectX 8.1
Keyboard and Mouse

I'd say:
Pentium III/AMD 1.4Ghz
512MB RAM
128MB Video Card

Reaction score
Is not the minimum or reccomended spec as stated on the back of the case 1.8GHz?
i'm sure it is.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I love this game too, it is something I can play on skirmish and just enjoy :)

I would have preffered lots more missions, as surely after coding a game for 18 months and then spending a week on the game missions was a bit strange :confused:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Nice review there MuchaSmoker, thanks.

I had the originals at one time and enjoyed it immensely but never knew about "Generals" ... be it on your head if I now get "told off" from her-in-doors when she sees I have another "new addition" to my computing needs. ;)

:D

Last edited:
Reaction score
ahem - edit that before reef sees that as its his and not mine!

Edit, ta Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have that game, I played it for 20 minutes or so, didn't like it and never went back to it. It's not even installed atm.

On the strength of this here review, think I'll give it another chance. Well written, reef :)

But really, all I get off on are fps's and racing games. I tried a couple of flight sims as well - Jane's Attack Squadron and Secret Weapons Over Normandy - and I was rubbish at them. It's just as well I never had aspirations to be a real pilot :D

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Cheers all :).

Its very nice to see my work appreciated.

I also have Ground Control 2 at my grasp, i've only played the 1st mission, but it looks extremely samey (sameys a word right :S) as C&C Genrals. I'll see if i can drag myself away from C&C to reveiw it though :p.

Flopps, you said you liked racing games hey? Well i can highly recommend Toca Race Driver 2, its extremely realistic, theres loadsa of classes of car to choose from, from V8 Super Cars to old classics like the Aston Martin DB4. Its even easy to play with the keyboard if you havent got a pad or wheel.

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Nice review there MuchaSmoker, thanks.

I had the originals at one time and enjoyed it immensely but never knew about
:D
Was that the "Worldwide warfare" pack - the pack with all the "original" comand and conquers up to red alert 1 - that was amazing!!!!

sold it to a mate for a tenner. Regret it.

Always wanted to play generals, may see whats on ebay some time. Looks good, i have loved all the series and i guess it would be no exception. admittedly renegade was a tad weird...

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Was that the "Worldwide warfare" pack - the pack with all the "original" comand and conquers up to red alert 1 - that was amazing!!!!

sold it to a mate for a tenner. Regret it.

Always wanted to play generals, may see whats on ebay some time. Looks good, i have loved all the series and i guess it would be no exception. admittedly renegade was a tad weird...
A tad weird, come on, your being kind :p.

Chris, i honestly cant recommend this game enough to command and conquer fans. It really has done justice to the C&C series where renegade had let it down.

Currently there is a deal going on at Play which you can get C&C Genrals and the update pack (zero hour) for less than £30 delivered. BARGAIN!

They also have the other command and conquer games for ridiculasly low prices too.

Red Alert for a fiver anyone? http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=PC&title=116910

Also, Tiberian Sun (better than Red Alert IMO) for a fiver http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=PC&title=163831

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've been playing some Custom Maps on Zero Hour this week, and I like it even more now. Especially the "hold out" maps, where there is a barrage of tanks heading to a base you must protect :)

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Is not the minimum or reccomended spec as stated on the back of the case 1.8GHz?
i'm sure it is.
christopher, you read 1.8 gb, which is the hard drive space reccomended :) i have the game in my hand now and the processor it says 800mhz, intel pentium III/AMD Athlon.

also this game runs exellent on my poor graphics card which i wish was 128mb.

Ask a Question