client in Windows XP

anniebissonnette

On each desktop (with Windows XP) we configured the client "Remote
Desktop" with a specific User name and password (the user name is
different then the Windows logon). Save the RDP connection on the
Desktop and works fine. Until the user is asked to change the windows
logon password. Then on the saved RDP connection, the password no
longer there.

Can anybody help me!

Tom Che [MSFT]

Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

From your post, my understanding of this issue is: After changing the
password for logon Windows XP, the password saved in a RDP file for Remote
Desktop with a different user account disappears. If this is not correct,
please feel free to let me know.

I cannot reproduce this issue on my own box, but I think you may try to
create a new RDP file and see whether it can save the password. If the
issue still occurs, you may try to logon with local administrator and test
this issue again.

If the issue persists, please let me know the following information for
further assistance:

1. Does this issue occur on all Windows XP computers?

2. Please let me know the exact version of Windows XP, such as SP1 or SP2.

3. Please send me a screenshot of the exact screen when the issue appears.

To take a screenshot:
---------------------
a. Press the Print Screen key once on the keyboard when the blank password
appears.

b. Click Start, go to Run, enter MSPAINT in the open dialog box, and then
Click OK.

c. Use Ctrl + V to paste the screenshot to the canvas.

d. From the File menu, go to Save and save it as a JPG file.

e. Send the JPG file to me as an attachment: (e-mail address removed)

Hope this helps!

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,
Tom Che
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Tom Che [MSFT]

Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

From your post, my understanding of this issue is: After changing the
[...]

It's correct, You did understand the right thing.

I tried to recreate the problem on a W2k SP4 and it's OK. The workstations
are configured with Windows XP SP1 or SP2. Both has it.

I tried to logon with the local administrator, change my password manually
(with the ctrl + alt + delete), the RDP connection still OK. If, in the
Computer Management, ask the local admin to change the password at next
logon, the password is gone in my RDP connection.

Tom Che [MSFT]

Hi Annie,

Thanks for you update!

I still cannot reproduce this issue on my own computers with Windows XP SP1
and SP2 as you mentioned:

1. Logon with local Administrator.

2. Create and save a RDP including password.

3. Open lusrmgr.msc and check the "User must change password at next logon"
in the Administrator Properties dialog box.

4. Logoff and logon again, select Yes when I am prompted to change the
password and type the old password and a new password twice.

5. After logon, right-click the RDP file and select Edit, I can see the
password is still there, and if I click Connect, it directly connects the
Terminal Server and does not need to type the password again.

Is there any difference between my test and yours?

Please send the screenshot to me as my previous reply for further
assistance. Furthermore, are you sure that this issue occurs on all client
computers with Windows XP? Thanks for your time and efforts!

From: "=?Utf-8?B?QW5uaWUgQmk=?=" <Annie (e-mail address removed)>

I followed the steps and yes I get the same results as yours...with the new
the RDP Connection. But if I do steps 3 to 5 on the same RDP Connection
(without creating one), the password disappear.

Tom Che [MSFT]

Hi Annie,

Thanks for you update!

From your update, my understanding is:

1) You create a new RDP file (for example, abc.rdp).

2) Check the "User must change password at next logon" option for the
current logon user and then logoff.

3) Logon normally after change the password, the password of abc.rdp is
still there.

4) Check the "User must change password at next logon" option again for the
current logon user and then logoff.

5) Change the password and re-logon, this time, the password of abc.rdp
disappear.

If this is not correct, please feel free to let me know.

If my understanding is right, it is very weird and I still cannot reproduce
the issue on my own computers with Windows XP SP1 and SP2, although I have
change the password (check the "User must change password at next logon"
option) again and again for five times. The password of the RDP file is
always there...

Please let me know: Does this issue occur on all client computers with all
user accounts? Thanks!

From: "=?Utf-8?B?QW5uaWUgQmk=?=" <[email protected]>
<S0O#[email protected]>

It is correct. and it happens on all Windows XP SP1 and SP2 but not with
Windows 2000 with all the users, no exceptions

Tom Che [MSFT]

Hi Annie,

Thanks for you update!

I have performed more deeply research on this issue. I found the Password
of RDP is encrypted and stored in the RDP file. Actually, this file is a
text file, so you may open it with Text Editor such as Notepad, and you may
find the PASSWORD is encrypted.

It is really weird why changing the password for local logon user affects
the encrypted password in the RDP file. However, we may try the following
tests to narrow down the root cause of this issue:

1. With the existing and problematic RDP file, please check "User must
change password at next logon" option for local Administrator, and then
boot with Safe Mode, change the password and logon with local
Administrator. Does the password of RDP disappear?

2. Copy the RDP file to multiple replicas into other folders, such as
C:\ABC and D:\ABC, reproduce this issue, do all the passwords in all the
RDP files disappear?

3. Change the Security Setting of the RDP file and make sure all users and
groups including SYSTEM have only Read & Execute permission. Try to
reproduce this issue. Dose the password of RDP disappear?

4. Help me collect the Userenv.log as below:

a. On the Windows XP machine, use Registry Editor to add the following
registry value (or modify it, if the value already exists):

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Value: UserEnvDebugLevel
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: 10002 (Hexadecimal)

Note: To disable logging, change the value to 0.

b. Restart the computer, and make sure the issue occurs.

c. The log file is written to the %Systemroot%\Debug\UserMode\Userenv.log
file, please send this file to me at (e-mail address removed).

For more information please refer to the following KB article.

How to Enable User Environment Event Logging
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/221833

Furthermore, please let me know the following information for further
assistance:

1. What is the version of the Terminal Server OS?

2. Do all the clients use the same user's name and password to logon to the
Terminal Server?

This is a tough issue, we may need more time to troubleshooting. Thanks
for your time and patience.

From: "=?Utf-8?B?QW5uaWUgQmk=?=" <[email protected]>
<S0O#[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>

Tom Che [MSFT]

Hi Annie,

I have sent a message to you, and I have received the automatic reply and I
know that you are on vacation from August 1 to August 12.

In this case, I will close this post temporarily. However, when you come
back, please reply to me in the newsgroup or via email, so I can continue
to be of assistance for you on this lost password of RDP file issue.

Thanks for your understanding and hope you have a nice vacation!

From: "=?Utf-8?B?QW5uaWUgQmk=?=" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 07:28:04 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.clients

It is correct. and it happens on all Windows XP SP1 and SP2 but not with
Windows 2000 with all the users, no exceptions
newsreader
SP1
or TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA03.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNG P
08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!news.glorb.com!postnews.g o

I'm back from vacation. Waiting for your reply

From: "=?Utf-8?B?QW5uaWUgQmk=?=" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 07:28:04 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.clients

It is correct. and it happens on all Windows XP SP1 and SP2 but not with
Windows 2000 with all the users, no exceptions

:

Hi Annie,

Thanks for you update!

From your update, my understanding is: