Client can't see the MSDE database

Reaction score
I've installed MSDE 2000 on a server with an instance name and attached a database to it. On the server I can use osql to look at the database, add new users etc. So the database is working fine.

On the client I have installed an adp with a .ini file which it reads to find the name of the server (servercomputername\instancename) and the name of the database to create a connection string.

It thinks for a while and then comes up with an error of Access Denied or SQL Server does not exist.

The logged in user is an authorised user of the database (using sp_grantlogin and sp_grantdbaccess)

Thinking I was doing something wrong in the connection string, I tried to create an ODBC connection (ie independently of the adp file) to the server. The server computer name came up on the list of servers so it recognised that there is a SQL Server instance running but if I entered servercomputername\instancename in the dialog and continued, I got the same error message.

Using svrnetcn.exe I checked that the MSDE instance has TCP/IP and Named Pipes enabled. I set the default port to 1433 but this made no difference.

You realise by now I know very little about servers and networks! What else should I check or set?

Best wishes,
Tom Kemp

Ask a Question