Clicking Hard Drive

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
For the first time yet I've got a non-IBM hard drive failing ;) It is still working but makes some very nasty clicking sounds when accessing certain files.

Ironically, it is my backup drive :rolleyes: I only found out after buying a new hard drive yesterday to replace it as it is almost full.

I'm guessing it is just worth chucking as it will fail completely fairly soon, or is it likely a full chkdsk may solve the problem (by marking the bad sectors). I'm almost set on chucking it as I don't want to lose any data, but if it is possible to patch it up I may keep it on as an unimportant drive.

Reaction score
Get any data off it & then run chkdisk to see if any bad sectors on it.
But as you say it may be on it's way out, more so with the clicking noise.
Must admit i took one apart recently never realised how small the disk is compared to the rest of the casing!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The "clicking" is probably the armature failing and nothing to do with the platters being accessed for certain files.

However, after you have retrieved all your data, why not give a Linux "live CD" a look at it. ;)

If it is physically damaged, there will be nothing you can do to "fix" it. :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just tried to format it and it won't get past 4% - too broken for my liking, think I'll be pulling it to pieces and getting my fingers caught by those powerful magnets ;)

Glad I got that new drive when I did :D Got 99% of the data off it :)

Ask a Question