Cleaning up Local Group Policy

I have a quick question related to cleaning up local group policies. For
example, on my workstation, I at one point enabled a specific policy
setting...in the GPO Results Wizard it shows the local policy as being
applied last (I think that was the way I was reading it) but since then I
have removed the local group policy setting that I had made, the GPO Results
Wizard is still showing that a Local Group Policy is being applied; and is
confusing because I am looking to see what might still be present and can't
find any settings

My question is this...how can I clear the local group policy settings so
that the Results Wizrd does not report that any local settings might have
been applied.

Thanks

Jason Tan

Hello,

Thanks for posting!

I understand that you want to clean up Local Group Policy. Based on the
description, before we go further, please help me confirm the following
information since the cause can occur under multiple situations.

1. After you remove a specific policy setting, do you run "Gpupdate /force"
in command prompt to force the update the Group policy?

2. After you remove the specific policy setting, does the function still
work? Additionally, you may check to see the policy through registry.
Please refer to the following table:

Group Policy Registry Table
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/
en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en
-us/regentry/GPRef.asp

For more information, please refer to the following information:
How esultant Set of Policy Works
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/TechR
ef/c145910b-cdff-4563-bc78-9e53cc49dfdd.mspx

If there is anything that is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?U211cmZtYW4=?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Cleaning up Local Group Policy
| Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 06:09:03 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
|
| I have a quick question related to cleaning up local group policies. For
| example, on my workstation, I at one point enabled a specific policy
| setting...in the GPO Results Wizard it shows the local policy as being
| applied last (I think that was the way I was reading it) but since then I
| have removed the local group policy setting that I had made, the GPO
Results
| Wizard is still showing that a Local Group Policy is being applied; and
is
| confusing because I am looking to see what might still be present and
can't
| find any settings
|
| My question is this...how can I clear the local group policy settings so
| that the Results Wizrd does not report that any local settings might have
| been applied.
|
| Thanks

lforbes

Smurfman said:
[...]

The local group policy always applies (it is first actually). The
reason is the Local Policy does contain some standard "necessary"
security settings.

The Local Policy is always overridden by the domain policy IN THE
EVENT OF A CONFLICT. If there is no conflict then the Local Security
Policy applies.

Cheers,

Lara

David Hahn

The policy always applies. I am not sure if there is a way to stop the local
policy from applying or why you would want to do that. If the policy doesn't
do anything extra, why does it matter that it is applied?