Windows XP civc.exe in XP processes; necessary?

Reaction score
Dear members,

Because I was getting runtime and memory error messages regarding a program I use called Wordsmith (it's for linguists), I cleaned up my computer and added 1 GB of memory. That didn't solve the problem. So I thought perhaps there is some application that is running that might be interfering. I went through all 44 processes one by one and checked them on the internet to see what they were. They all seem to be necessary (to this non-expert) except one "civc.exe" which, while it has not been found to be neither good nor bad according to a malware site, I can not find what its usefulness seems to be.

I had the same problem with this program upon first installing it but it disappeared when I rebooted my Windows XP 2 pack (or is it 3 now?) for another unrelated issue. I don't want to do that now as I'm just in the midst of finishing my doctoral thesis and the program has to been downloaded from a publishers. (In any case, I can still use the program despite the messages when closing a file or the program)

So really my question is: leave the application or take it off?

Kindest regards from Houston,
Linda

Reaction score
Take it off, its a formof malware,just not known how bad or good it is, if malware can be goo, download something like superantispyware or Spybot serach and destroy and remove it

Reaction score
civc.exe thank you

Hey Mr. Madxgraphics, how nice to hear from you. You've been my angel once again.
Take care,
Linda

Madxgraphics said:
Take it off, its a formof malware,just not known how bad or good it is, if malware can be goo, download something like superantispyware or Spybot serach and destroy and remove it

Reaction score
Hi Linda

Shhh don't say that to loud, me other half might hear..Not so much an angel, just doing what people do on forums..

Reaction score
civc.exe

Dear MG,

You may be doing "what people do on forums", but the difference is that you (and other kind experts such as yourself), save people an incredible amount of time and money, not to mention stress! Anyway, I did as you suggested and 1) got rid of the Lavasoft Adware (shame on it for not catching the civc.) and 2)downloaded the Super spyware and voila!

Okay, a walk in the somewhat coooler balmy weather (down to an agreeable 28 degrees C) as we Houstonians take advantage of the remnants of hurricane Dolly and then back to my thesis (sigh).

Linda

Madxgraphics said:
Hi Linda

Shhh don't say that to loud, me other half might hear..Not so much an angel, just doing what people do on forums..

Ask a Question