Chkdsk - should take how long?

Richard Fangnail

I have XP and I just ran chkdsk and it took about 3 seconds! I did it
by Windows Explorer, where you schedule it to run the next restart.

I couldn't run from the Run box because it said something about the
disk being locked.

Is there a way I could run chkdsk without a lot of changing things?

db

the best method
is to run chkdsk /p
from the recovery
console.

it is an important
utility and the files
on the disk must not
be in use at the time.

you can run chkdsk
from the command
console but it will be
a "read only" scan.

start>cmd>chkdsk /help

to get the details.

--

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

Lem

Richard said:
I have XP and I just ran chkdsk and it took about 3 seconds! I did it
by Windows Explorer, where you schedule it to run the next restart.

I couldn't run from the Run box because it said something about the
disk being locked.

Is there a way I could run chkdsk without a lot of changing things?

Why do you want to run chkdsk?

Read this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314835
Don't focus on the material discussing the /C and /I switches, but read
the section headed Understanding what CHKDSK does. It includes a
discussion of how long things may take.

Generally, you will want to run chkdsk with the /F switch. If you run
chkdsk with no switches, it will not fix anything. If you run
chkdsk /F, it will fix errors on the disk. If you run chkdsk /R, it
will attempt to locate bad disk sectors and recover data.

Both /F and /R (which implies /F) require that chkdsk be able to write
to the disk. If you attempt to run chkdsk /F (or chkdsk /R) on the
system partition (that is, where Windows is located), chkdsk will not
run unless it can lock the partition (so Windows can't use it in the
middle of chkdsk's operation). Chkdsk will lock the partition on the
next book and run *before* Windows is loaded.

You can run chkdsk from within Windows (either from the Run box or via
other methods, but only if (a) you run it in read-only mode (i.e., no /F
or /R) or (b) run it against a non-system partition.

And yes, chkdsk may in fact "change things," so you might consider
backing up your important data prior to running chkdsk.

db

I recommend /p

you recommend something
else.

time to stop trolling.

--

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
- Systems Analyst
- Database Developer
- Accountancy
- Veteran of the Armed Forces
- Microsoft Partner
- @hotmail.com
~~~~~~~~~~"share the nirvana" - dbZen

db

here is what ms
says:

CHKDSK

chkdsk drive /p /r
The chkdsk command checks the specified drive and repairs or recovers the drive if the drive requires it. The command also marks any
bad sectors and it recovers readable information.

You can use the following options:
/p Does an exhaustive check of the drive and corrects any errors.
/r Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.

so not only are you
a troll but a

MORON TOOOOOO!
--

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
- Systems Analyst
- Database Developer
- Accountancy
- Veteran of the Armed Forces
- Microsoft Partner
- @hotmail.com
~~~~~~~~~~"share the nirvana" - dbZen

Tim Meddick

Concerning the CHKDSK command from the 'Recovery Console'

CHKDSK /P is the correct syntax for checking AND fixing file system
errors on a hard-drive or partition.

The /R switch is used for checking and recovery of bad sectors.

CHKDSK by itself - with either no parameters or with just a drive
specified will "poll" that drive for the 'dirty bit' or the 'dirty flag'
and, if found, runs on that drive as if the /P switch was specified.

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :)

Twayne

philo said:
I have told you before that chkdsk /p is an *audit* only switch

you need chkdsk /r to actually correct file system errors

time to WAKE UP

Chkdsk

Creates and displays a status report for the disk. The chkdsk command
also lists and corrects errors on the disk.

The chkdsk command with the parameters listed below is only available
when you are using the Recovery Console The chkdsk command with
different parameters is available from the command prompt.

chkdsk [drive:] [/p] [/r]

Parameters

none

Used without parameters, chkdsk displays the status of the disk in the
current drive.

drive:

Specifies the drive that you want chkdsk to check.

/p

Performs an exhaustive check even if the drive is not marked for chkdsk
to run. This parameter does not make any changes to the drive.

/r

Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. Implies /p.

Note

• The chkdsk command requires the file Autochk.exe. If it cannot
find it in the startup directory (\%systemroot%\System32, by default),
it will attempt to locate it on the Windows Installation CD. If you have
a multiboot computer, be sure you are issuing this command from the
drive containing Windows.

Twayne

db said:
I recommend /p
[...]

And time to be accurate.

Twayne

Twayne

db said:
here is what ms
says:

And MS says this at:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../proddocs/en-us/bootcons_chkdsk.mspx?mfr=true

[...]

Top of page
--------------------
and chkdsk /? says:
/F Fixes errors on the disk.
On NTFS: Displays cleanup messages if any.

/R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information
(implies /F).

/p of course, has to be read from the console.

Ain't MS docs FantASStic? They aren't as contradictory as they first
appear if you think about it.

Twayne`

db

not sure what your
beef, but perhaps you
were simply substantiating
my responses.

maybe the statement
added to the command
line descriptions is the
cause for some confusion:

"This parameter does not make any changes to the drive."

so lets be clear about
the above.

the statement pertains
to the "physical marking
of bad sectors" on
the drive, i.e. changes to
the "drive"

marking the drive and
changing the total amount
of writable and readable
sectors is what /r will do
and not /p

however, /p will make
changes to the mft and
journals and whatever
else, file system wise.

but don't take my word
for it, run the command
line yourself and see.

--------------

phucco's response
was blatantly clear and
wrong that /p is only
an "audit"

further, he must be really
on a high horse to chastise
anyone on these newsgroups.

--

db said:
not sure what your
beef, but perhaps you
were simply substantiating
my responses.

Quite correct; MS in its infinite wisdom creates a lot of confusion with
its documentation; that's my only beef. You have to hold your tongue
just right to make sense of them.
Sorry, no offence intended; I could have done a much better job of it
too.

Twayne`

maybe the statement
added to the command
line descriptions is the
cause for some confusion:

Twayne said:
db said:
[...]

"db" <databaseben at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
the best method
is to run chkdsk /p
from the recovery
console.

I have told you before that chkdsk /p is an *audit* only switch

you need chkdsk /r to actually correct file system errors

time to WAKE UP

Tim Meddick

I don't quite know what some people are trying to say here, but CHKDSK
with the /P switch (Recovery Console) absolutely does fix file system
errors and "forces" a disk check even if the 'dirty flag' is not
detected.

As for the suggestion that WITH the /P switch only "polls" the drive for
the 'dirty flag' and does not run otherwise is quite wrong.

I have reproduced the help description for the CHKDSK (RC) command here
:

Checks a disk and displays a status report

CHKDSK [drive:] [/P] [/R]

[drive:] Specifies the drive to check
/P Check even if the drive is not flagged dirty
/R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information
(implies /P)

CHKDSK may be used without any parameters, in which case the
current drive is checked with no switches. You can specify the listed
switches.

CHKDSK requires the AUTOCHK.EXE file. CHKDSK automatically locates
AUTOCHK.EXE in the startup (boot) directory. If it cannot be found in
the startup directory, CHKDSK will attempt to locate the Windows
installation CD. If the installation CD cannot be found, CHKDSK prompts
for the location of AUTOCHK.EXE.

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :)

1

1PW

Richard said:
I have XP and I just ran chkdsk and it took about 3 seconds! I did it
by Windows Explorer, where you schedule it to run the next restart.

I couldn't run from the Run box because it said something about the
disk being locked.

Is there a way I could run chkdsk without a lot of changing things?

Hello Richard:

You have queried many newsgroups with as many problems. When help is
offered, you either don't take the advice or you don't seem to
understand what is being asked of you. It appears as if you have
limited technical skills that may place your remedial actions outside
your comfort zone.

Do one of the following:

1) Flatten and rebuild your system from the last known good full
system backup.

2) Flatten and rebuild using clean install for everything.

3) Take your system to a qualified tech and let them make your system
right.

4) Contact Ms. Mary Papa at the Santa Rosa Junior College and ask her
who are a few of the known good businesses in your local area. Ms.
Papa has probably trained more computer techs in your area than you
can imagine.

Your posts are approaching trollishness and you have begun to loose
the interest of those who could have helped you the most. I know
this reads a bit harsh. However, this is the best way you are going
to set your system right. I really wish you and your system well Richard.

Regards,

Pete