CHKDSK runs every time I boot!

Reaction score
Knoj said:
I was having this problem until today. I used this simple fix. It might
help you.

1. click on your start menu and open the run dialog.
2. type "cmd" and return (note: dont enter quotes)
3. Next type "fsutil dirty query e:"
4. If the return message indicates that the volume is dirty go to step 5
5. Next type "chkdsk e: /f /x"
6. After that finshes repeat step 3.
7. If it is no longer dirty then reboot and you should notice no more
ckdisk.

If this process doesn't work check out Kelly's site, listed by a
previous response earlier today.

thanks man! it solve my problem

Reaction score
My sticky dirty Chkdsk at boot

THU 12-Mar-2009

To The “PcReview” Team

Hi Everybody,

I thank you one and all, individually, for your contribution to resolving my “sticky chkdsk at boot” problem. I have an 80 GB HDD with partitions C: D: and E: Also I use a USB 8 GB Pen drive. My OS is Windows XP SP2. “fsutil query drv:” on all local drives, returned NOT DIRTY. Chkdsk /f /x deferred to boot time, always resulted in a hang up with 0% completed.

Unfortunately, I did not have the RC option in my install CD; Only Upgrade or New Installation. I, therefore, could not use “chkdsk /p /r”.

Although I worked with all your suggestions, what finally worked for me was simple “chkdsk /r” using normal command mode. Deferred to boot time it ran up to 100% completion plus a free space scan and wiped out my sticky dirty problem!!

I follow the policy:

· Getting into a muddle is the first step towards knowledge.

· The desire to dig deep and getting more confused is an asset for a computer professional.

· He cannot talk to the computer; so forums are the best for interactions.

· Getting the result is more important than the means understood and adopted.

· Spreading the message is also very good. Someone may be benefited some day.

I am a techie, only to the extent of understanding what you all had suggested, but I cannot explain why and how my problem got resolved. So I had to thank all of you and tell you what I did.

JayaRadha

Reaction score
chkdsk problem

Thnx; I did what was suggested above by Q46ward with fsutil except I run it with XP live thus avoided the 'this disk is in use' problem. In the short time I have had XP Live I have come to love it. I repair pcs on a regular basis as a hobby and to help friends, and XP Live has been a God send. Try it you'll like it.

thnx again

dougskreation

Reaction score
CHKDSK & XP Live

Hi dougskreation,
I have noted XP Live is very
useful. I don't know anything
about XP Live. But I am glad
to know you have been
successful.
Thanks
JayaRadha

Reaction score
Twist on the fix

Hi,
I have exactly the same problem, and checking does say c is dirty, but when I do the next step, it says chkdsk can't run b/c the volume is in use....any ideas?
Thanks!

Reaction score
jaze <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> EVERY time I boot my PC, CHKDSK needs to run for drive E. I let it.
> whether I reboot immediately or later, CHKDSK runs again. I've tried
> Norton Disk Doctor also, to no avail.
> Naturally, I can't defrag drive E due to the impending CHKDSK. I tried
> to clone (image) the partitions onto another drive so I could reformat
> drive 1, but I can't start the copy due to the need to run CHKDSK.
>
> Drive 0 = 18.2GB U160 HDD (C) - FAT32
> Drive 1 = ATA/100 20GB partition 1 (D). 91GB partition 2 (E) - NTFS
>
> Windows XP Pro, 2.6GHz, 1GB, MX440 64MB, ASUS P4 MoBo, UltraPlex Wide
> UW CD-ROM, external USB 2.0 CD/RW, wireless keyboard/mouse, scanner,
> printer, yada, yada, yada.
> NAV 2003 Pro, Ad-Aware Pro 6.0.181, PestPatrol Corporate v4.2.0.53,
> Diskeeper v8.0.459 Pro, Zone Alarm v4.0.146.029
>
> Any legitimate suggestions? How about an MS KB article addressing this
> issue?
>
> -Jaze

help you.

ckdisk.

Knoj, thanks! I also wanted to add for those of you first reading this, that after step 5 above, you will most likely be asked if you would like Checkdisk to run at your next system boot. If this is the case, press Y on the keyboard and enter to acknowledge that you would like this. After you restart and Checkdisk has finished running, proceed to step 6.

In my case, I even received a message that my disk was still dirty, but this is not true, and most likely a bug. On my computer, the checkdisk stopped running at start-up after following Knojs steps.

Reaction score
Hi,
I have exactly the same problem, and checking does say c is dirty, but when I do the next step, it says chkdsk can't run b/c the volume is in use....any ideas?
Thanks!
Fiona, yes go ahead and read my reply in the thread below your input.

Reaction score
First of all, thank you Knoj!!
Unfortunately, I would not have come up with this solution for myself.

I would like to add a postscript that might help some others.
In my situation, the problem was on my boot (C:) drive.
Since the boot-up would not go past the CHKDSK screen, I was obviously not able to follow this procedure.

The solution was to take the drive out and make it a secondary disk on another computer (or one could put a bootable disk in the original computer and make the original disk, secondary).

Either way, upon boot-up, I still got the CHKDSK screen, but this time, pressing a key terminated the process.

After boot-up I ran the suggested solution. It dismounted the "DIRTY" drive and cleared all of the handles. Upon running CHKDSK from within the CMD dos screen, it completed. Doing the query now showed the original disk to be "NOT DIRTY".

I re-booted and indeed the CHKDSK did not run.

I put the original disk back into the computer and boot-up.
It now worked perfectly.

Hope this helps someone else.

Again, Knoj, thank you for taking the time and making the effort to help us out here in cyberland.

Reaction score
Windows Vista: If the above does not help you, you can tell the Windows Vista Registry to not run checkdisk, regardless of the reason by following the simple instructions below. Be sure to follow these instructions exactly so that you don't risk harm to your computer. If followed exactly as stated, check disk will not run on your system.

1. Run... "Regedit"
2. Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
3. In the right hand pane, double click BootExecute. The default value of the key is autocheck autochk *

* means every drive is checked for consistency. Just add /K:C at the end before *. /K switch will disable autocheck on C: drive at Windows startup. So the final value should look like this:
autocheck autochk /k:C *

To reverse the above procedure, just remove the /K:C line which you have just added. Close the file, and close Regedit and then restart your computer and the effects will be immediate.

I ended up using this method because despite all my other tries to disable chkdisk, my Windows Vista will always run a checkdisk even though my drives are healthy!

Anyways, if you're having a similar problem as I've had, try this out and your problem will be solved as well. :D

Reaction score
As an IT architecht and educated in security and systems software I wanted to let everyone know reading this forum that if Checkdisk does run every time your computer starts without you having changed any system settings in your Windows Vista / Win XP or Win 7, more than likely you have a hard drive problem.

I was let known about this after 3 years of using my computer that my RAID 1 array (2 drives on 1 logical C:\ drive) malfunctioned. As a short description to what happened, the system was acting strange, not always allowing files to be written to the hard drive. The source of the problem was the onboard RAID controller for the 2 hard drives.

If you have a similair problem with your computer, it can cause Checkdisk to run at each system boot.

Please be aware of this problem, because if you change the checkdisks autorun settings in the registry, you may very well simply be pushing a much more serious problem with your hard drive(s) under the table.

Just want to let the community know what happened to me.
--Exsosus

Reaction score
Thanks for this fix! The problem came up last night when one of my drives failed. For some reason my other drive was marked as dirty. I ran the full chkdsk on boot which ran twice but the drive was still marked dirty.

I disabled the virtual memory on the dirty drive (my secondary disk, if it's your C: drive you should move the virtual memory to another drive.) which then allowed me to run the "chkdsk x: /f /x" command from cmd prompt within XP. FIXED! :)

Thanks a lot to pcreview
i am very happy now problem was fixed.:thumb:

Reaction score
Thank you, Knoj and all you fine people generously sharing your time and expertise. I did the fsutil fix on my d drive as instructed and it worked perfectly. No more chkdsk at boot up. My d drive was indeed dirty and the fix changed that to NOT dirty. God bless you all.

Reaction score
Thanks a lot Mr Knoj...ur fix worked so well.:dance: its really easy to solve problems for newbies like me,till people like u r there to help and guide..pls accept my gratitude:bow:

Reaction score
jaze <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> EVERY time I boot my PC, CHKDSK needs to run for drive E. I let it.
> whether I reboot immediately or later, CHKDSK runs again. I've tried
> Norton Disk Doctor also, to no avail.
> Naturally, I can't defrag drive E due to the impending CHKDSK. I tried
> to clone (image) the partitions onto another drive so I could reformat
> drive 1, but I can't start the copy due to the need to run CHKDSK.
>
> Drive 0 = 18.2GB U160 HDD (C) - FAT32
> Drive 1 = ATA/100 20GB partition 1 (D). 91GB partition 2 (E) - NTFS
>
> Windows XP Pro, 2.6GHz, 1GB, MX440 64MB, ASUS P4 MoBo, UltraPlex Wide
> UW CD-ROM, external USB 2.0 CD/RW, wireless keyboard/mouse, scanner,
> printer, yada, yada, yada.
> NAV 2003 Pro, Ad-Aware Pro 6.0.181, PestPatrol Corporate v4.2.0.53,
> Diskeeper v8.0.459 Pro, Zone Alarm v4.0.146.029
>
> Any legitimate suggestions? How about an MS KB article addressing this
> issue?
>
> -Jaze

help you.

ckdisk.

Finally. Thank you very much
:cheers:

Ask a Question