Cheap International Data Roaming?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Next year I'll be abroad for a few weeks, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get internet access as easily as I'd like (although if worst comes to worst I can find a wifi hotspot).

I know that there are loads of options for reasonably priced PAYG 3G data packages in the UK, but when I'm abroad the roaming charges are insane.

Is anyone aware of a low cost way of getting data access while abroad? :confused: It will be mainly Europe, but also North America which complicates things.

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Next year I'll be abroad for a few weeks, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get internet access as easily as I'd like (although if worst comes to worst I can find a wifi hotspot).

I know that there are loads of options for reasonably priced PAYG 3G data packages in the UK, but when I'm abroad the roaming charges are insane.

Is anyone aware of a low cost way of getting data access while abroad? :confused: It will be mainly Europe, but also North America which complicates things.

I have a few mates that go abroad quite abit, they normally go for 3/Three

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks MadX. I've had a look at their PAYG data packages, but I can't see the roaming changes.

The closest I can find is something on their PAYG mobile page which says "Internet data is now only £1.25 per Mb" : http://www.three.co.uk/Help_Support/International/Going_abroad_Pay_As_You_Go

I think I'd probably use around 500MB, so that's going to add up to far too much :lol:

It's not critical, as I'm sure I can get to wifi hotspots - but thought I should check if there was an easier way to do it at a reasonable price.

Reaction score
You could always call up O2 and tell them you are thinking of leaving them. But if they were willing ot give you some kind of deal on a data roaming package you might be tempted to stay..It's worked a treat for me in the past..Probs why I have been with them for so long. They are pretty good at adjusting packages to keep customers..

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.wi-fihotspotlist.com/

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/1...ng-it-up-with-free-wifi-access-across-the-us/

"In exchange for just one search on Bing, Microsoft's new search engine, Microsoft will grant you free WiFi access on hotspots nationwide (but mostly in airports and hotels)."

"(As a juicy, related titbit, and in no way coincidental, Yahoo will be providing free wireless access at Times Square in New York City, for an entire year.)"

happywave.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Abarbarian - thanks, that could be handy indeed :D

Madxgraphics said:
You could always call up O2 and tell them you are thinking of leaving them. But if they were willing ot give you some kind of deal on a data roaming package you might be tempted to stay..It's worked a treat for me in the past..Probs why I have been with them for so long. They are pretty good at adjusting packages to keep customers..

I'm still mid contract with o2 so I'm not going to have much luck at the moment, I guess there is still too much market segmentation to have a global roaming package at a reasonable price. It's not the end of the world, it just would have been handy if the price was right :)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I guess there is still too much market segmentation to have a global roaming package at a reasonable price.
Right. Look at the time it took to introduce some kind of sane ruleset for mobile telephony roaming prices within the EU.

As for your upcoming wide and extensive travels: forget 3G. Roaming within the EU is ridiculously expensive. The States... no such adjective in my dictionary.

Wifi hotspots widely available.

happywave.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, looks like it's going to be wifi hotspots :)

Ask a Question