chart disappears

Stuart C.

In excel 2007 I have data on a sheet from which I created a chart. I then
moved the chart to its own sheet. I updated the data once a day for a couple
days and the chart was also updated. Then one day I open the file and the
chart is gone. The sheet it was on is still there. The data sheet is still
there, but the sheet is gone (or not visible?) and I can't figure out why or
how to get it back.

This is happened twice now and is getting quite irritating. Any thoughts?

Bernard Liengme

I have been unable to reproduce this. I did what you did but my 'day' was
about 1 1/2mins. The chart survived. PLEASE let us know if this happens
again. What type of chart; how many data-points; is 'update' adding more
points or changing existings ones?
best wishes

Alex V

I am actually having the same problem and it seems to me it occurred after a
windows update. I've tried just about everything including deleting and
reinstalling updates, repairing office 2007, and troubleshooting the plug-ins
thinking one of them may have caused the problem. I was going to attempt to
do a system restore, which I read somewhere solved this issue with another
user, but I came across another problem: Windows Vista Service Pack 1 was
installed a few days prior and because of the size of the udpate, I only have
one other system restore point, none of which are before Excel began to give
me problems. At this point, i'm considering reinstalling Office 2007
alltogether.

Also, if you create a chart within the worksheet, it displays correctly; the
problem arises when you try to create or move a chart into it's own tab.

Bob

I have the same problem. I posted the following back in December under the
subject: Chart Drift

I have an Excel file which was originally created in an earlier version of
Excel. I am currently using Excel 2007, but this file was created back in
1985 so it's been with me through many versions. It simply tracks mutual
fund prices by week. Anyway, the charts are created as objects on separate
worksheets. Whenever I open the worksheet and go to the charts they drift
down and to the right. I can't seem to anchor them. After about half dozen
opens some that I haven't repositioned every time have drifted completely
out of sight. I recreated a couple of the charts in Excel 2007 to see if
that made a difference, but the drift still occurs. Any assistance would be
appreciated.Never received any replies."Stuart C." <Stuart
news:[email protected]...

Jon Peltier

Do you have a printer installed? For some reason, chart sheets seem to need
a printer driver on hand in order to render properly.

- Jon

Alex V

Changing the default printer to "Microsoft XPS Document" and reinstalling my
printer driver seemed to have solved the problem.

Joined
Oct 31, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I was completely baffled until I read the posting that explained that the default printer driver matters with Excel 2007. I was able to create a chart just fine and it appeared as a small window on the current page. But when I went to move the chart to its own tab, the chart disappeared! However, when I switched the default printer to a different printer, the chart is now visible when I move it to its own tab. Never would have figured this out on my own so thanks for posting.

Joined
May 31, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
i had this same problem. i have a tracking spreadsheet (excel 2007) that includes four pages of charts that are updated as data changes. when i opened the spreadsheet today, none of the charts were visible.

after searching and trying several options, i went to Options>Advanced and found that Display options for this workbook apparently had changed. Under "For objects show:" "Nothing" was selected. i changed it to all, and voila, they're back! :)

Joined
Feb 25, 2015
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
i had this same problem. i have a tracking spreadsheet (excel 2007) that includes four pages of charts that are updated as data changes. when i opened the spreadsheet today, none of the charts were visible.

after searching and trying several options, i went to Options>Advanced and found that Display options for this workbook apparently had changed. Under "For objects show:" "Nothing" was selected. i changed it to all, and voila, they're back! :)

I use masses of charts and spend at least a couple of hours a day with Excel, so when critical data summaries vanished from key files, it was a big problem. The above post got me out of panic mode very quickly, and I guess now all that matters is solving the unauthorized and unwanted change in my display settings! Martians? Russians? Beats me...