Windows XP changing screen resolution in dos

Reaction score
does anyone know how to change screen resolution using dos. My PC is messed-up because my son changed the settings to a huge screen resolution, now everytime I load windows it freezes if I try to do anything. Ive deleted all bmp using dos incase it was the back ground but this doesnt work

I cant access control panel or properties as evertime I click it attempts to open a screen which is blank then locks, have tried safe mode but this doesnt work either

Im running windows 98, but not sure what version of dos i have installed

Ive heard of DOSSHELL but not sure if my pc has it and if this is the thing to use

thanks for any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... have tried safe mode but this doesn’t work either

Safe mode should work as it only loads a STD video setting.

If you cannot use safe mode then something is drastically wrong.

More info on your system may help us.

Reaction score
mucks,

you just quoted something that wasn't said, have i had too manby beers again?

Reaction score
well look at the basics first. i mean is your monitor calbe plugged in properly? and is the monitor all kushty?

im sure safe mode would do the trick but the gaffer is rite we need more information to look for a possible remedy to tis dillema!!!

Reaction score
The cabling is fine, but I'll to try and give a bit more detail:-

On starting up the pc everything is fine, windows opens as normal, goes through usual start up routine and finishes with blank background (I deleted all bmps from windows) and normal size desktop shortcuts that I have for various programs, explorer, recyle bin etc, (which makes me think it isnt a screen resolution problem after all). The only difference when windows has loaded is that there is no tool bar at the bottom of the screen, the only way to see a tool bar is to drag the destop down which reveals blank grey screen with a huge tool bar at the bottom which large icons (the ones you usually get after start up in the bottom right of the screen).

Now here is the problem: if i press the windows key the menu comes up but if i click anything nothing will open properly, an initial screen may open but is blank inside and the program fails to load (the egg timer just keeps circulated showing that the pc is still trying to do something). The only way out is to press escape which closes the blank window back to the desk top again, no matter what i try and open the same thing happens. Even if i try to use short cuts on the f keys are right click of mouse, the same thing happens. Its like the pc hasnt got enough ram to do anything once windows had loaded

ive started the pc in safe mode and yet, a the screen looks different with 'safe mode' appearing in the top corners, but still i can not access any programms or do anything.

Ive asked my son exactly what he was doing and he tells me his was accessing properties, changing the background wallpaper and messing on with the settings, but hes not sure exaclty what, since ive deleted all bmps from windows, I assume its not the wallpaper and i dont think its resolution as when windows has opened the desktop icons are the same size, so the only thing i can thing of is the tool bar.

The only thing i am considering now is connecting the hard drive to another pc i have and using it as a slave to transfer my jpegs so i can access them another way.

Any suggestions anyone

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You could do another install of Win 98, over your existing one.

Just load the Win 98 CD, close the welcome box, browse to the CD folder and click setup.

That should restore all original settings, you shouldn't lose any data.

One of the good things about Win 98, that is, unlike Win XP, it never seems to work, an 'install-over.'

If you can't browse to the folder of the Win 98 CD, try setting up from the welcome window.

Failing that, boot with a Win 98 floppy and install that way, although I'm not sure if the latter method will preserve data, I can't remember now, it's that long since I had to do that.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The only thing I am considering now is connecting the hard drive to another pc I have and using it as a slave to transfer my jpegs so I can access them another way.
Do just that, and while your at it transfer (copy over) any other important data you may have.
(this is one of the “tricks of the trade”)

You can then either, as Floppy suggested, do a “dirty install” of the OS … this will keep your data intact, but you will need to re-install any updates to the OS and some programs may also need re-installing, but your data will be left intact … or, do a “clean” install (start from scratch). You may find that a “dirty install” does not cure the problem, and your best course would be a clean install.

Let us know, and we can help with either.

If and when you do get your system back, I strongly suggest your son is relegated to a place on the Planet, of your choosing, that has no computers, until as such time you see fit that the “punishment” fits the “crime” … :D

Reaction score
nice explanation.................finnaly........:) just kidding

well its true windows xp is a great swine when it has a problem like yours because when one try to reinstall windows XP all registry values and shortcuts are all gone. But with windows 98 i think u will be alrite with regards to these!:_) well good luck my old mucker.

i hate penalties! :(
forget Waddle, Pearce, Southgate, Ince and Batty its Beckham and Vassel's turn HUMBUG :(

Ask a Question