Changing phone providers

Reaction score
I'm going to change from pay-as-you-go with o2 to Orange.
How do i go about it? Do i ask o2 for a PAC, then get an Orange sim in the phone and then o2 transfer my number over, or do Orange do it for me.

Phone is not locked to o2.
A simple step by step guide would be helpful (cos i'm a real duffer on mobiles:blush:)

Reaction score
Dont want to hijack the thread but someone offer advice as i'm think of changing my phone to & i'm on payg as well.
Come you phone guru's help an over 40 out:p

Reaction score
Im also about to do this. I think if you want to go to another service provider you get the PAC code from 02 then phone up orange with it and they sort it out for you. I went from contract to PAYG with 02 so that when i was in oz i could keep my number and thats what i had to do. Phoned the contracts part of 02 then had to phone the PAYG section.

Feckit, what are you changing from? You are changing from PAYG to Contract?

Im also going to hijack this thread, im going to try and get a contract sorted this week, going to take Chris' advice and try and haggle with them!! Wonder how much i can get!! :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been checking around, and according to FAQs on the Carphone Warehouse website:

You need to contact your current Service Provider (the company your contract is with) to ask for a Port Authorisation Code (PAC).

The PAC is your authority to request a transfer and will allow another Service Provider to request your number be transferred to them upon request. However the PAC is only valid for 30 calendar days so you must action the request promptly.

What if I have a Pay as you Go phone?
Your current Service Provider will issue you with a PAC if the number is still connected.

If you are transferring a pre-pay number, any credits with your current Service Provider will not be transferred to your new Service Provider.

Hope that is helpful to you but if you'd like to check it out for yourselves it is here. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Funny that, after ten years of contracts, I'm leaving Orange and looking for a different service, I may go o2.

Two things niggled me. They wanted to charge me £1.50 a month extra for an itemised bill. I've had itemised bills for ten years now they want to charge me. And it would have been added automatically had I not spotted the small print and phoned them up.

They are charging me £2.55 a month extra because I don't pay by direct debit. I hate direct debit. Supposing there's no money in my account (I don't have wages paid in to bank account, I'm self-employed) and a direct debit request is made? My bank charges me £25.00 for the privilege of rejecting that direct debit.

I've also noticed some areas around London where Orange has no reception, Berkhamstead in Hertfordshire for one. My mate's Vodaphone picks up there Ok. And no, I ain't going Vodaphone, they just laid off about 3000 workers or summat, that can't be good.

So, I dunno. By and large, I've been really happy with Orange for 10 years. But just lately they've been doing lots of little penny pinching things which has given me the right hump :mad: And they've been trying to sell me a really crap Internet BB service (read the small print, it's rubbish).

So, anybody who's just done this thing, and has good advice, we is all watching, lol ;)

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi Flops

I too am with Orange and have been for many years and I won't have DD either and, like you only just spotted the extra cost for am itemised bill. Funnily enough, I received one this week which was itemised (I told them to stop sending due to the cost) and it was itemised. Another thing with them that bugs me is that I want a business contract and they say I can't have one as a sole trader.

Gabs xx

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
W E L L

I'm with BT ... don't shout, take a bloody look.

They gave me a mobile with this BT Fusion BB, I never noticed, but I get 200 free min ... ok the phone is not as "up-to-date" as Chris's all singing camera, but it works in one area no other phone works, my sisters house. :p

Well, I don't use a mobile these days, what do I know ... :)

They are all pinching pennies these days, haven't they all got to reduce their phone charges ... :D

Reaction score
T-Mobile and O2 are generally very good.

Dont trust coverage maps. They Lie.

O2 Online Tariffs are good as everything is itemised on screen for free - log in and see how many texts/calls you made and to who at what time. Print it out if you want too.

Reaction score
Yeah, Chris has covered what i was going to say, i think it's because he posted it at 7.01am!! What on earth!!

The reason they are charging you £1.50 Flopps is because they want everyone to go "online" now. If you look at the tarrifs available in the shops and compare them to the ones on their websites its like night and day. They are obviously trying to get everyone to buy online by offering much better tarrifs and it will save them a lot of admin costs because it's all done automatically.

So, Flopps has been with Orange for 10 years, and ive been with 02 for 7 years. He's thinking of going to 02 and i was thinking of going to orange. I have a cunning plan..............

I was thinking of changing because i get poor reception in my house, but im moving to York in 4 weeks so i guess it doesnt matter anymore.

Looks like everyone is thinking of doing some phone upgrading, we should work out how many people are doing it and go to the companies and try and get a bulk discount!! haha.

Reaction score
I had to be up for the builders which arrive at 6:30am - you know we are adding another story to our bungalow... well it wont be a bungalow much longer.

Also

UPS can arrive from any time after 7... thats if camera is coming today!

Reaction score
I'm changing my pay-as-you-go phone from o2 to Orange, mainly as o2 has no coverage were my sister now lives, But Orange does. Also the service i have got from o2 recently has been very poor.

I emailed Orange about changing over & they are setting eveything up for the end of next week, as i have £20 still on my o2 phone.

Reaction score
£20 a month? that gets you 500 messages, an hour of calls and a brand new top of the range phone on O2!!

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
£20 a month? that gets you 500 messages, an hour of calls and a brand new top of the range phone on O2!!
Sadly Chris the service i have had from o2 over the last 6 months has been crap, my phone was meant to get set up in an o2 shop, all they did was screw me for a £20 voucher & put me on the wrong tariff. Of which when i contacted o2 by email, they said it was nothing to do with them!

I'm using up all my credit and going to Orange, who when i was with them 3 years ago provided a faultless service. Also as the rest of my family are on Orange calling them will be cheaper. Also o2 do not cover a few parts of deepest Somerset/Dorset, were Orange do & i need phone coverage in these places.

Last edited:

Ask a Question