Changing default locations for loading programs and My Documents

Ayush

Change location of my documents :
Open "My documents" properties from Start menu or desktop > there will be a
input box for path, set it there

Changing Default installation directory :

1. Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
2. Find ProgramFilesDir whose default should be C:\Program Files
3. Change this to whatever directory you wish.D:\Program Files for example.

--
Ayush [ Be ''?'' Happy ]

For any query, search > www.Google.com
Want to know about a term > http://en.wikipedia.org

"Kennard in Albuquerque" <[email protected]>
wrote in message |I recently did a fresh install on Windows XP and split my hard drive into
| three partitions, C:, D:, E:. I would like to change the deafult locations
| for loadinf programs to the D: drive and the default for My Documents,
| FAvorites, Eudora settings, etc. to the E: drive. How do I go about doing
| this? - Ken

I recently did a fresh install on Windows XP and split my hard drive into
three partitions, C:, D:, E:. I would like to change the deafult locations
for loadinf programs to the D: drive and the default for My Documents,
FAvorites, Eudora settings, etc. to the E: drive. How do I go about doing
this? - Ken

Ken Blake, MVP

Kennard said:
I recently did a fresh install on Windows XP and split my hard drive
into three partitions, C:, D:, E:. I would like to change the deafult
locations for loadinf programs to the D: drive and the default for My
Documents, FAvorites, Eudora settings, etc. to the E: drive. How do I
go about doing this? - Ken

I see that Ayush has answreed your question, but I'd just like to add a
comment on your partitioning scheme. Many people install programs to a
partition other than the one Windows is on because they think that in the
event of a serious problem that requires them to reinstall Windows, they
will at least be able to keep their installed prograqms.

If you happen to be one of those people who think that, let me point out
that this is *not* correct. All programs except a very occasional tiny one
have many entries within Windows, referring to them and where they are
located--in the registry and elsewhere.

The result is that if you reinstall Windows, all your installed programs
cease to work--even if they are in a separate partition--and have to be
reinstalled. So separating Windows and Programs in different partitions has
almost no real value.

glee

Are you sure about that tweak working as advertised, for changing the default
installation directory? Have you tried it?

I ask because I did a while back, and it did not work as advertised. The problem is
that every program already in C:\Program Files that uses the variable %ProgramFiles%
in its Shell\Open\Command path (rather than using an explicit path) will no longer
be able to open, and their shortcuts (Start Menu, Desktop) will no longer work,
unless you edit every .lnk file and registry entry involved. The programs that are
installed with Windows, that use the %ProgramFiles% variable, include Internet
Explorer, Outlook Express, Movie Maker, Internet Connection Wizard, Windows Media
Player, and Wordpad.....along with everything in the Program Files\Common Files
tree.

The procedure that I think *should* work is this:
http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=3236
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+

Ayush said:
Change location of my documents :
Open "My documents" properties from Start menu or desktop > there will be a
input box for path, set it there

Changing Default installation directory :

1. Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
2. Find ProgramFilesDir whose default should be C:\Program Files
3. Change this to whatever directory you wish.D:\Program Files for example.

--
Ayush [ Be ''?'' Happy ]

For any query, search > www.Google.com
Want to know about a term > http://en.wikipedia.org

"Kennard in Albuquerque" <[email protected]>
wrote in message |I recently did a fresh install on Windows XP and split my hard drive into
| three partitions, C:, D:, E:. I would like to change the deafult locations
| for loadinf programs to the D: drive and the default for My Documents,
| FAvorites, Eudora settings, etc. to the E: drive. How do I go about doing
| this? - Ken

Ayush

I never tried it but i found it on a site few weeks ago, but i think that
you are correct.

--
Ayush [ Be ''?'' Happy ]

For any query, search > www.Google.com
Want to know about a term > http://en.wikipedia.org

| Are you sure about that tweak working as advertised, for changing the
default
| installation directory? Have you tried it?
|
| I ask because I did a while back, and it did not work as advertised. The
problem is
| that every program already in C:\Program Files that uses the variable
%ProgramFiles%
| in its Shell\Open\Command path (rather than using an explicit path) will
no longer
| be able to open, and their shortcuts (Start Menu, Desktop) will no longer
work,
| unless you edit every .lnk file and registry entry involved. The programs
that are
| installed with Windows, that use the %ProgramFiles% variable, include
Internet
| Explorer, Outlook Express, Movie Maker, Internet Connection Wizard,
Windows Media
| Player, and Wordpad.....along with everything in the Program Files\Common
Files
| tree.
|
| The procedure that I think *should* work is this:
| http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=3236
| --
| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
|

| "Ayush" <ayushmaan.j[aatt]gmail.com> wrote in message
| | > Change location of my documents :
| > Open "My documents" properties from Start menu or desktop > there will
be a
| > input box for path, set it there
| >
| > Changing Default installation directory :
| >
| > 1. Navigate to:
| > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
| > 2. Find ProgramFilesDir whose default should be C:\Program Files
| > 3. Change this to whatever directory you wish.D:\Program Files for
example.

| > --
| >> Ayush [ Be ''?'' Happy ]
| >
| > For any query, search > www.Google.com
| > Want to know about a term > http://en.wikipedia.org
| >

| > "Kennard in Albuquerque"
<[email protected]>
| > wrote in message
| > |I recently did a fresh install on Windows XP and split my hard drive
into
| > | three partitions, C:, D:, E:. I would like to change the deafult
locations
| > | for loadinf programs to the D: drive and the default for My Documents,
| > | FAvorites, Eudora settings, etc. to the E: drive. How do I go about
doing
| > | this? - Ken
| > |