Changing CDROM driver letter using diskpart in winpe

I want diskpart to create a c: and d: partition in winpe , however the d: drive currently being used by the CDROM drive.

Any ideas how you canh use diskpart in winpe to chnage the CDROM drive to e:

Cheers

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Right-click on the MY COMPUTER desktop icon and select MANAGE.
Then click on DISK MANAGEMENT, right-click on your CD-ROM and
select "Change Drive Letter and Paths...."

Note:

XP's DiskPart utility is capable of only partitioning a hard drive that is empty
or has "unallocated" free space.
For example, if you were to install a new second drive, DiskPart can be
used to partition and format it. DiskPart cannot segregate current files from
free space, therefore, only a sophisticated third-party partitioning program,
such as Partition Magic 8 , can be used with a drive that already has Windows XP
installed.

The only way you can create, delete, resize or merge existing partitions,
and not harm your existing Windows installation, is to use
a third-party partitioning program such as Partition Magic 8.
http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/pmdetails.cfm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| I want diskpart to create a c: and d: partition in winpe , however the d: drive currently being used by the
CDROM drive.

| Any ideas how you canh use diskpart in winpe to chnage the CDROM drive to e:
|
| Cheers

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Since this is WinPE I don't think Disk Management is available

Try this using diskpart:
run diskpart.
Then run.
List Volume (to show the volumes to get the cd-rom volume number)
Select Volume 0 (select cd-rom volume in this case it's volume 0)
Assign letter=E ( this is where you assign drive letter E to the CD-Drive)

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

| From: "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Changing CDROM driver letter using diskpart in winpe
| Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 12:35:30 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
|
| Right-click on the MY COMPUTER desktop icon and select MANAGE.
| Then click on DISK MANAGEMENT, right-click on your CD-ROM and
| select "Change Drive Letter and Paths...."
|
| Note:
|
| XP's DiskPart utility is capable of only partitioning a hard drive that
is empty
| or has "unallocated" free space.
| For example, if you were to install a new second drive, DiskPart can be
| used to partition and format it. DiskPart cannot segregate current files
from
| free space, therefore, only a sophisticated third-party partitioning
program,
| such as Partition Magic 8 , can be used with a drive that already has
Windows XP
| installed.
|
| The only way you can create, delete, resize or merge existing partitions,
| and not harm your existing Windows installation, is to use
| a third-party partitioning program such as Partition Magic 8.
| http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/pmdetails.cfm
|
| --
| Carey Frisch
| Microsoft MVP
| Windows XP - Shell/User
|
| Be Smart! Protect your PC!
| http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

| |
| | I want diskpart to create a c: and d: partition in winpe , however the
d: drive currently being used by the
| CDROM drive.
| |