changes to author permission

G

Suddenly I can no longer open our web using Front Page 2000 or 2002. As usual it asks for name/password, but does not open the site, just repeats the question

I have full use IIS and have tried resetting passwords on the server and checking that I am listed under IIS on the Operators tab and on the Directory Security tab

Is there anywhere else to set author permissions for a Frontpage Web

Thanks

Jim

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Run a check or server health check on the extensions.

--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Jim Carroll said:
Suddenly I can no longer open our web using Front Page 2000 or 2002. As usual it asks for
name/password, but does not open the site, just repeats the question.
I have full use IIS and have tried resetting passwords on the server and checking that I am listed
under IIS on the Operators tab and on the Directory Security tab.

G

Thomas

Thanks! From IIS, I checke the tabs for Server Extensions and Server Extensions 2002. Both tabs said "This web is running an old version of Server Extensions.. To update....

When I followed the update instructions for the Server Extension tab, it came back "Upgrade complete succussfully

However, when I followed the update for Server Extension 2002, it came back "Cannot open "service.lck": no such file or folder.

The Front Page Server Extensions 2002 console will not let me Reset User passwords, claiming "There are no available virtual servers on this machine. " In fact it sees 5 virtual servers on the machine

Any other suggestions at fixing Server Extensions

Thanks! Jim Carrol

T

Thomas A. Rowe

From Windows Explorer, delete the service.lck file. To manage the FP2002 extensions, look in your
Admin Tools under Control Panel for the Server Extensions HTML file.

--
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Jim Carroll said:
Thomas,

Thanks! From IIS, I checke the tabs for Server Extensions and Server Extensions 2002. Both tabs
said "This web is running an old version of Server Extensions.. To update...."
When I followed the update instructions for the Server Extension tab, it came back "Upgrade complete succussfully"

However, when I followed the update for Server Extension 2002, it came back "Cannot open
"service.lck": no such file or folder."
The Front Page Server Extensions 2002 console will not let me Reset User passwords, claiming
"There are no available virtual servers on this machine. " In fact it sees 5 virtual servers on the
machine.

G

Thanks again for the reply. I could not delete this file (service.lck

I found the right folder _vti_pvt -- however there appeared to be no such file there. I checked to make sure hidden and systems files are not hidden. Still nothing. However, if I try to move a new empty file called service.lck into the folder, it won't let me do it.

I also downloaded a new copy of Server Extentions, but this did not help either.

It is very strange. The site is still working. I am sure the password is correct but it still will not let me open the Website.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated

Ask a Question