Change of plan!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
1106.gif

Ater a bit of time to cool down earlier i decided that i would continue to fold for PCR. That is if you'll have me back?
blush2.gif

I went off on one in this thread. But after a bit of time to rethink and reflect, i decided to continue the quest for a cure and PCR. :thumb:

I'll be keeping an eye one the WCG thing closely and if mucks will take me i may move over at a later date, but for now i will continue with F@H.
fing02.gif

On a lighter note, Anyone seen the poll that Bruce put on the F@H Forum? HERE
That guys got a serious problem!!!!
4-toilet.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Have you back ... :confused:

Never knew you left ... :p

Forum politics over at F@H and they have already closed the "poll" there. :D

I thought I was stickler for the un-written Rules but that lot need lessons in Forum Etiquette

Sorry, but is one of the main reasons I quit F@H ... Find-a-Drug are not the only people looking for a new home.

:(

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If they've annoyed so many people I think its good that we are now looking for a new home - there's no point in crunching for something that acts like that (in the long run). :thumb:

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
If they've annoyed so many people I think its good that we are now looking for a new home - there's no point in crunching for something that acts like that (in the long run). :thumb:
I agree with Ian, no point in wasting resources on something we are not happy with.

Is there a general intention to follow Mucks and if so, are people moving "en-mass" or just trickle over as and when they feel like it?

I'm happy to follow the mob because there isn't much point in there being only one or two people left in the F@H Team, but I wonder what everyone else has planned?

Reaction score
Greetings
I'm an obscure folder on an obscure team & this post will be long. I came here because of the controversy at the Folding forums. Welcome to all new folders.
A) The PCR site is a fine one and I'm glad I found it.
B) I admire the way a number of you have found answers to common problems with Folding and have posted answers in your threads. All the answers to your questions are at the Support Forums as well.
C The Folding Support forum is NOT a part of the Folding @ Home project, but is maintained (in UK) by an individual with his own funds. He is not presently available or he may have weighed in on the feud. Dr. Pande (head of FAH project) is also away at this time and may/may not have any comments.
D) FAH is very difficult science and the people running the project are scientists and may not be as user friendly as many would like. The project is cutting edge in many ways and has motivated others in the world to explore protein structures in a different way (read WCG.)
E) The FAH support forum is exactly that and is not a touchy-feely place which many in a new and unnamed (other)FAH team seemed to prefer. I don' t personally know or care if the Team Forum area Rules should be relaxed or not. You willl notice that the bandwidth of the Forum site is alreaedy stressed - see how slowly the Forum pages load?
F) The ultimate answers to questions in the Forum come from The Pande group, which does monitor the Support Forum. Those guys are very busy and are operating the whole FAH project on a shoestring budget, yet have received many awards from the scientific community for the work performed.. Having to filter through reams of "yo Peeps" etc, to get to keep an eye on the project is an extra burden on the scientists at Stanford.
G) The FAH project has added much to human understanding of proteins. FAH can't do it all and as you know, there are several other groups out there working with different aspects of protein research (ref WCG et al). Many of these projects are now able to proceed because of the previous work done by FAH.
H) FAH research is made available freely to all interested researchers and is published in peer-reviewed journals. Likewise, the FAH Support Forums are non-profit and exist solely to aid the FAH project, but are nota part of the Stanford group.
I) A comment on the behaviour of some people the Team forums - I saw a lot of boisterous activity that went on for a while - and then a few Old Folders politely asked some folks to pay attention to what was going on and tone it down. The responses from posters fit into a few categories such as -I haven't read your rules and they don't apply to me anyway.- This is the way we did it over there and we are going to do it here too. - If I don't get my way, I will not only pack up my crayons and leave, but I will actively try to hurt you. The response from the Moderator was to lock their thread.
J) The Team forums could be a bit more fun and the forums may change, but as far as I can see, the whole system is already working at/near max capacity (just as Folding CPUs do) without duplicating a chatty forum which already exists elsewhere for those who want it.
K) Everyone is free to do as they wish, but freedom means only this: each person is free to live up to the consequences of their own thoughts and actions. Would you rather align your thinking with the most noble among us or the least?
I'll stop before getting into double letters.
proud top 200,000 folder.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Rasterhead: hello mate, you may know me as Bruce Bruce :)

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to come here and provide some explanation as to the Moderator's attitude at the F@H Forum.

A little about myself. Apart from spending time here, I'm also an Admin at Bitbenderforums, the would-have-been F@H team that seems to have ruffled so many feathers.

We were top 30 in the UD crunching teams and top 20 with Find-a-drug. That, I'm sure you'll agree, is a fair bit of crunching commitment and some considerable donation to a cause wishing to help humanity as a whole.

Perhaps we've been spoilt, but we've been used to our recruiting threads in each projects forum being allowed for just that - recruitment. If a potential team member sees a freindly bunch of peeps waffling about a load of old nonsense, they may be attracted to that team, odd as that may appear to the F@H Mods & Admins.

Two arguments don't hold water here, the first being that we should go to our own forums and 'chit chat'. We do that already and we're unlikely to recruit members from within our own community, are we? The only way to attract new blood is to go to the hub of the project - the project Forum.

The second argument that's a non-starter is that scientists would have to wade through reams of one smiley posts to access valued information. No, they'd just stay away from the team recruitment threads, problem solved.

The Bitbender recruitment thread seems to have been the catalyst for all the unrest, following a comment from Bruce, a F@H moderator. For the life of me I still can't see what he objected to. I can understand his objections to some replies following his orders, but until he asserted himself, the thread looked to be progressing in an orderly enough manner.

To my mind Bruce and OC_AMD are just egocentric bullies, pushing their weight about just because they can. They are ably supported by a group of sycophants such as macaholic as well. To my mind they are in severe need of an attitude injection and a sense of humour transplant.

It also occured to me they may be wary of the competition. All teams that were 'picked' on are formidable crunching teams.

I notice that threads are still carrying on at the F@H Forums where we're still being criticised but as we're now toothless (I've been banned, along with others) we cannot reply. Macaholic has now linked to one of our team threads at BBT.

Folding At Home is a noble project. From what I can understand F@H has been around the longest and has made the biggest research contributions to the scientific and medical communities.

I first started crunching with F@H, with team Icrontic, back in '99 or 2000 but was then swept up with my team to start with UD, where I then donated almost ten years of crunching time, all from my own machines.

I do this because it benefits us all, helping to find cures for diseases can only be a good thing.

I) A comment on the behaviour of some people the Team forums - I saw a lot of boisterous activity that went on for a while - and then a few Old Folders politely asked some folks to pay attention to what was going on and tone it down. The responses from posters fit into a few categories such as -I haven't read your rules and they don't apply to me anyway.- This is the way we did it over there and we are going to do it here too. - If I don't get my way, I will not only pack up my crayons and leave, but I will actively try to hurt you. The response from the Moderator was to lock their thread.

That is untrue.

'Pack up my crayons' indeed.

And I for one would never actively try to hurt any forum.

What I will do though is argue vociferously against rude and unenlightened forum members, admins & Mods.

Their esponse when they know they're losing is to delete posts and lock threads. Democracy? Fairness? Reasoned argument? hardly.

The problem, to my mind, is purely with the individuals running the F@H Forum.

They're paying for it though, so I guess they make the rules.

Their attitude has caused the loss of a lot of research for Folding At Home which however you look at it is a damn shame.

Again, thank you taking the time and effort to post here, I wish you well :)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp Thanks for your response.
I agree with much of what you said.
I don't think anyone over there is wary of competition.
There is now a big discussion over at the FAH Support forums as to whether or not the Teams area will be doing any changing. The point is really moot until the site owner is available, as has been explained ad infinitum. There are also other old folders with equally unsuitable comments who have disheartened others in past and have again disappointed quite a few of us now that many potential folders won't be helping out, in part because of their remarks. However, the admins didn't start the fight, just got prickly when they tried to explain to others that the Support Forum was only that and got flamed.

You said that some of my comments weren't true. Well, they were as far as I could see. Just because you may not have made them doesn't mean others didn't and aren't still doing so in there own forums.

I don't get the thing with the flags.

I'm always glad to see new folders come along. The miniscule team I'm on recently picked up 2 new members. Every little bit helps.
Are you saying that your bunch won't be working on the FAH project because the Support forum isn't to your liking?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I see that 5 of the PC Review Crew at F@H have now gone over to WCG - Mucks, Chris Postill, itisi, CITech & Vanilla Radio.

It would be good to know what the rest are intending to do, as it is pointless carrying on with F@H if most are going to leave - might as well all go now if thats the case - a team isn't a team without members, tends to get a bit lonely!:eek:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Rasterhead said:
You said that some of my comments weren't true. Well, they were as far as I could see. Just because you may not have made them doesn't mean others didn't and aren't still doing so in there own forums.

A fair point, but I only spoke for myself.

Are you saying that your bunch won't be working on the FAH project because the Support forum isn't to your liking?

Yes.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Make the change Ady mate, i think its the best thing to do. :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
WCG software wise looks sweet (better than F@H) and its for the same cause, so why not!
That true, i also found the console was better than that GUI so didn't us the GUI. I would prefer to run WCG as a service, but i dont think you can.

Reaction score
Hi Folks
I dont understand why they have a team section,if you are not aloud to post in it.
They say its a family forum yet they allow adult content.
If it is strictly a support forum,why have a General non-FAH section?
Seems things get twisted to fit the Mods likings.
Such a shame.
We left and have taken our crayons because they didnt want us coloring in their coloring book.
Treat people like a rope,pull them and they will follow,push them and you will get nowhere.

Proud member of BBT

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Vanilla Radio said:
That true, i also found the console was better than that GUI so didn't us the GUI. I would prefer to run WCG as a service, but i dont think you can.
Hi VR,

Have you tried looking at this page for info on running WCG as a service? http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=197

This is a direct link from the WCG help page but I think it needs a bit of tweaking. I haven't tried it myself yet, but I will probably try it once my F@H routines have completed and are out of my hair!

Let us know how you get on:thumb:

Reaction score
troy 614 - a number of good points

Vanilla Radio - How many points per day were you getting w/ that machine? I have a similar CPU I'm about to put into service.

Good luck to your team wherever they may be.

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Rasterhead: hello mate, you may know me as Bruce Bruce :)

Perhaps we've been spoilt, but we've been used to our recruiting threads in each projects forum being allowed for just that - recruitment. If a potential team member sees a freindly bunch of peeps waffling about a load of old nonsense, they may be attracted to that team, odd as that may appear to the F@H Mods & Admins.

Two arguments don't hold water here, the first being that we should go to our own forums and 'chit chat'. We do that already and we're unlikely to recruit members from within our own community, are we? The only way to attract new blood is to go to the hub of the project - the project Forum.

The second argument that's a non-starter is that scientists would have to wade through reams of one smiley posts to access valued information. No, they'd just stay away from the team recruitment threads, problem solved.

The Bitbender recruitment thread seems to have been the catalyst for all the unrest, following a comment from Bruce, a F@H moderator. For the life of me I still can't see what he objected to. I can understand his objections to some replies following his orders, but until he asserted himself, the thread looked to be progressing in an orderly enough manner.

I agree 100% with what Floppybootstomp says here.

Team BBT members are a dedicated bunch who happen to love a bit of banter.

To my thinking a team recruitment thread belongs to that team and if scientists are busy, well then just as flops said........ stay away from those threads.

If bandwidth is the issue........... well then don't have team recruiting threads in the first place if you are going to censor them.

We certainly aren't kids and know well enough how to behave but we do also expect a certain degree of respect since it is a two way street.

In my opinion (e-mail address removed) loss is WCG's gain as it looks like the majority of us have decided to support that instead.

The forums over there need not worry about us as we (and most notably Floppybootstomp) are hardly a threat and have no desire to return or cause any problems. For anyone to even imply such a thing they certainly don't know us or Flops.

Regardless of what one's beliefs or which side of the fence you sit on the attitude there certainly does not promote the project and even though the site may be privately owned it is more or less joined at the hip with the project and I saw Pande browsing the threads in my brief time at that place.

It's my right to feel that the proper way of handling it would have been for him to step in.

That's my two cents on the subject........ Spezi

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hey ... wana get banned ... you is on my turf now ...

sorry, but I am, as Floppy wmay say, a little bit inibreated.

... I have been somewhat preocupied with the DEATH of my wife ... and I have a really hard time gettin my act together ... NO ... IT IS no excuse ... now I do admit to being a little wors for whear here ... but excuse me ... go away ... in short sharp jurks .. if you need nme to make it more PLANE TO YOU i will ... THE FIRST WORD BEGINS WITH AN ... F ... the second word is OFF

Sorry folks ... but I have had enough ... I really am at the end of my teather hear ...

may see you soon

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Don't stay away too long Mucks - this isn't the (e-mail address removed) Forums - we are all friends here and support each other.....:)

Reaction score
He'll sober up just nicely in the a.m. by my reckoning. He had alot to get off his chest ;)

Take it easy Neil.

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Don't stay away too long Mucks - this isn't the F@H Forums - we are all friends here and support each other.....:)
Definitely, we still want our Mucks. I get the impression everyone on here looks after each other whether it's PC related or not.

Hope you're back on form soon Mate!:thumb:

Ask a Question