## Change links - sound files ##

Wai

Product: MS PowerPoint 2002 (English version)

Add a sound/music file by "Insert | Movie and Sound |
Sound from file"
Later on, wish to change the link of that sound/music
file.
(eg from playing XX.wav to YY.wav)

How can I do?
[Please tell me step-by-step if possible, thanks !!]

Thank you very much for your attention and answers.

John Langhans [MSFT]

[CRITICAL UPDATE - Anyone using Office 2003 should install the critical
update as soon as possible. From PowerPoint, choose "Help -> Check for
Updates".]

Hello,

PowerPoint doesn't provide the functionality that you are looking for
without resorting to VBA or add-ins.

If you (or anyone else reading this message) think that PowerPoint should
provide link management for more than just OLE linked objects (without have
to resort to VBA or 3rd party add-ins), don't forget to send your feedback
(in YOUR OWN WORDS, please) to Microsoft at:

As with all product suggestions, it's important that you not just state
your wish but also WHY it is important to you that your product suggestion
be implemented by Microsoft. Microsoft receives thousands of product
suggestions every day and we read each one but, in any given product
development cycle, there are only sufficient resources to address the ones
that are most important to our customers so take the extra time to state
your case as clearly and completely as possible.

IMPORTANT: Each submission should be a single suggestion (not a list of
suggestions)

John Langhans
Microsoft Corporation
Supportability Program Manager
Microsoft Office PowerPoint for Windows
Microsoft Office Picture Manager for Windows

For FAQ's, highlights and top issues, visit the Microsoft PowerPoint
support center at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=ppt
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbhowto

Use of any included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

Steve Rindsberg

Do you want the sound file to change during a slide show? How about using
two identical slides, one with XX.wav as the transition sound, one with
YY.wav?

--
Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com
Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP

Wai

Sorry, that is not what I want.

I just wish to change the link of the sound file (eg
because later I found out I don't wish to play XX sound
file in the slide show, but YY sound file).

Now what I can do is to re-insert another sound file and
link to YY.wav. Even worse I need to re-set the settings
for it!!. Then delete the current one.

All the process is time-consuming and tedious, especially
when you are making a large silde show with different
kinds of music/sound files.

Do you want the sound file to change during a slide show? How about using
two identical slides, one with XX.wav as the transition sound, one with
YY.wav?

--
Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com
Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PowerPoint FAQ - www.pptfaq.com
PPTools - www.pptools.com
===============================

Product: MS PowerPoint 2002 (English version)

Add a sound/music file by "Insert | Movie and Sound |
Sound from file"
Later on, wish to change the link of that sound/music
file.
(eg from playing XX.wav to YY.wav)

How can I do?
[Please tell me step-by-step if possible, thanks !!]

Thank you very much for your attention and answers.

.

Kathryn Jacobs

Why not make a copy of the old sound with a new name, then rename the new
one to the old name?

--
Kathryn Jacobs, Microsoft PPT MVP
If this helped you, please take the time to rate the value of this post:

Wai said:
Sorry, that is not what I want.

I just wish to change the link of the sound file (eg
because later I found out I don't wish to play XX sound
file in the slide show, but YY sound file).

Now what I can do is to re-insert another sound file and
link to YY.wav. Even worse I need to re-set the settings
for it!!. Then delete the current one.

All the process is time-consuming and tedious, especially
when you are making a large silde show with different
kinds of music/sound files.

Do you want the sound file to change during a slide show? How about using
two identical slides, one with XX.wav as the transition sound, one with
YY.wav?

--
Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com
Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PowerPoint FAQ - www.pptfaq.com
PPTools - www.pptools.com
===============================

Product: MS PowerPoint 2002 (English version)

Add a sound/music file by "Insert | Movie and Sound |
Sound from file"
Later on, wish to change the link of that sound/music
file.
(eg from playing XX.wav to YY.wav)

How can I do?
[Please tell me step-by-step if possible, thanks !!]

Thank you very much for your attention and answers.

.

Steve Rindsberg

Gotcha.

As Kathy suggests, if you have a link to XX.WAV and want to link to YY.WAV
instead, delete XX.WAV and rename YY.WAV to XX.WAV (or rather copies of the
original files)

Or with our (commercial, but dirt-cheap) StarterSet Plus PPTools addin, you
get a tool that lets you edit the link directly. See the PPTools link
below.

--
Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com

Wai said:
Sorry, that is not what I want.

I just wish to change the link of the sound file (eg
because later I found out I don't wish to play XX sound
file in the slide show, but YY sound file).

Now what I can do is to re-insert another sound file and
link to YY.wav. Even worse I need to re-set the settings
for it!!. Then delete the current one.

All the process is time-consuming and tedious, especially
when you are making a large silde show with different
kinds of music/sound files.

Do you want the sound file to change during a slide show? How about using
two identical slides, one with XX.wav as the transition sound, one with
YY.wav?

--
Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com
Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PowerPoint FAQ - www.pptfaq.com
PPTools - www.pptools.com
===============================

Product: MS PowerPoint 2002 (English version)

Add a sound/music file by "Insert | Movie and Sound |
Sound from file"
Later on, wish to change the link of that sound/music
file.
(eg from playing XX.wav to YY.wav)

How can I do?
[Please tell me step-by-step if possible, thanks !!]

Thank you very much for your attention and answers.

.

Wai

I am just a newborn VBA learner.
If it is not too complicated, please teach me how to do
step-by-step.

Also what 3rd party add-on can do what I wish?
Where can I download it?

John Langhans [MSFT]

[CRITICAL UPDATE - Anyone using Office 2003 should install the critical
update as soon as possible. From PowerPoint, choose "Help -> Check for
Updates".]

Hello Wai,

Here is some sample code:

PPT2000: Sample Visual Basic Code Changes Source of Multiple Linked Objects
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=222716

There's lots more code samples in the Microsoft KB:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbhowto

John Langhans
Microsoft Corporation
Supportability Program Manager
Microsoft Office PowerPoint for Windows
Microsoft Office Picture Manager for Windows

For FAQ's, highlights and top issues, visit the Microsoft PowerPoint
support center at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=ppt
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbhowto

Use of any included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

Wai

Thanks for your workaround.
However, beware of being cheated by the name of the sound
file.

Eg:
"Light music.wav" in fact plays heavy music.

[...]

Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com
Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PowerPoint FAQ - www.pptfaq.com
PPTools - www.pptools.com
===============================

Product: MS PowerPoint 2002 (English version)

Add a sound/music file by "Insert | Movie and Sound |
Sound from file"
Later on, wish to change the link of that sound/music
file.
(eg from playing XX.wav to YY.wav)

How can I do?
[Please tell me step-by-step if possible, thanks !!]

Thank you very much for your attention and answers.

.

.

Wai

What program should I download:
- FixLink or StarterSet

How can the tool fix the link problem?
Which is better for link management?

As Kathy suggests, if you have a link to XX.WAV and want to link to YY.WAV
instead, delete XX.WAV and rename YY.WAV to XX.WAV (or rather copies of the
original files)

Or with our (commercial, but dirt-cheap) StarterSet Plus PPTools addin, you
get a tool that lets you edit the link directly. See the PPTools link
below.

--
Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com
[...]

Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com