change language at startup of XP

G

Hi,

I recently acquired a PC in Italy, with Windows XP professional installed in Italian. I now live in Belgium, and use a french keyboard. The users I installed on my PC start with the correct keyboard (control panel and international options of the language). The only problem is at startup: where one has to select a user, and type the user's password. There I have the choice between English and Italian (switch between the two via a keyboard combination). No french or other language is offered. Typing my password on an italian keyboard involves a few different keys from the french keyboard. Admittedly, this is not a huge problem (of course, I found out what keys to hit) but I wonder if there is a solution other than reinstalling XP with the correct language version?

Thanks for your help,

Luc

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Windows XP is written in specific language versions, therefore one
cannot change it from one language version to another. You'll need
to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP in the language version
you want, reformat your drive and install it "clean".

Or if you have an available empty drive or partition, you can install
another "Full Version" of Windows XP in a different language version
and create a dual-boot configuration.

Welcome to WorldLanguage.com!
http://www.worldlanguage.com/

A good third-party partitioning program is Partition Magic 8.
http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/pmdetails.cfm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| Hi,
|
| I recently acquired a PC in Italy, with Windows XP professional installed in Italian. I now live in Belgium,
and use a french keyboard. The users I installed on my PC start with the correct keyboard (control panel and
international options of the language). The only problem is at startup: where one has to select a user, and
type the user's password. There I have the choice between English and Italian (switch between the two via a
keyboard combination). No french or other language is offered. Typing my password on an italian keyboard
involves a few different keys from the french keyboard. Admittedly, this is not a huge problem (of course, I
found out what keys to hit) but I wonder if there is a solution other than reinstalling XP with the correct
language version?
|
| Thanks for your help,
|
| Luc

C

CS

Hi,

I recently acquired a PC in Italy, with Windows XP professional installed in Italian. I now live in Belgium, and use a french keyboard. The users I installed on my PC start with the correct keyboard (control panel and international options of the language). The only problem is at startup: where one has to select a user, and type the user's password. There I have the choice between English and Italian (switch between the two via a keyboard combination). No french or other language is offered. Typing my password on an italian keyboard involves a few different keys from the french keyboard. Admittedly, this is not a huge problem (of course, I found out what keys to hit) but I wonder if there is a solution other than reinstalling XP with the correct language version?

Thanks for your help,

Luc

You'll have to live with that unless you know someone who has access
to purchasing a multi language pack for XP.

Ask a Question