cell format unpredictable

willy

Is it me or is there a bug?

When I use the general format for cells, I find that after the file is saved
and reopened these cells go to a custom format
[$-C09]dd-mmm;@
These cells are in columns, with one column of single or simple digit
numbers, and another column of long text. The long text consequently displays
as XXXXXXX, rather than a much more friendly overflow over the adjacent
cells.
And the single digit numbers then display as a date, which really is
frustrating.

I understand that Excel will try to find a suitable format if it is set to
general, but this is something different.

I suspected this problem first with a file that had it's name changed in
explorer, now I am finding it in a few others that simply opened and closed
normally.

Your thoughts? Willy

Jim Cone

Some info here, but whether it helps?...
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA010346351033.aspx
"Creating International Number Formats"
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"willy"
wrote in message
[...]

Jim I read that, not really the problem.
I am running Excel 07 but the rest of the network and dept is on 03 so I
suspect it might be a compatability problem. I will chase my IT dept.

The faults seems to be getting worse and more predictable. Thanks for your
thoughts.

willy

Jim

I kept working on this and you did give me a clue

The faulty number format that it keeps reverting to must be a custom one
that I have picked up from a colleague, as I have a few sheets which get data
input and then returned to me. The page you sent me to made me realise that
custom formats look a lot like the style I had.

I have deleted that format and I expect the fault to go away.
So Thanks Again!

Jim Cone

Appreciate getting the feedback.
'--
Jim Cone

"willy" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
Jim
I kept working on this and you did give me a clue
The faulty number format that it keeps reverting to must be a custom one
that I have picked up from a colleague, as I have a few sheets which get data
input and then returned to me. The page you sent me to made me realise that
custom formats look a lot like the style I had.
I have deleted that format and I expect the fault to go away.
So Thanks Again!

rakudave

Willy,

I am having what sounds like a similar problem. Cells that were previously
assigned the 'General' format are now assigned a 'Date' format.

My skills in this area of Excel are not great so I don't completely
understand how you solved this. Is there some special handling of 'General'
where Excel will attempt to assign a format for you? Is this behavior
controllable or configurable?

Thanks.

-rakudave