cd tray will not open

Reaction score
My cd tray will not open. When I press the button it sounds like it wants to but doesn't. I'm on windows xp with hp computer.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi,

Sounds like the motor on it is going or the disc keeps getting stuck inside.

Either way get a new DVD drive.

To retrieve your CD, look on the front of the drive and you will see a small hole, straighten a paperclip and keeping it very level push it into the hole, when it meets resistance push it firmly but evenly, minding not to stick the other end of the clip into your hand. The drive will open enough to get your fingertips in to open it the rest of the way.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Do as Waynos_Face said above, but make sure the PC is turned off. ;)

Leave to door open, and reboot the PC. :thumb:

I would get a new drive. :nod:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I once had a tray problem similar to yours.

As the tray attempts to open press on the left hand edge of the tray. Sometimes just altering the angle of the tray ever so slightly is sufficient to allow it to open. If that doesn't work try pressing the right hand edge next time. :thumb:

Reaction score
At a guess jammed (most probable) or slipping

Cheap enough like everyone else suggests if you aint capable of repair I suppose

Reaction score
Neither way, but I was able to open it by using the paper to hit the release button and got it open. Thanks

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
You are welcome,

If you feel upto replacing it yourself, it will cost max £20 for a very good one, can recommend a good place to get one and tell you how to do it, really easy.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Well there are really two types of drive that are in use, either IDE or SATA, you will need to take the side off of to find out which.

So this maybe a bit of a long route to get the info but i havent used XP in a while.

So click START - then CONTROL PANEL - then SYSTEM - then HARDWARE - then DEVICE MANAGER

look for DVD/CD it should be about 4 down, double click, then on the new window click DETAILS, it should say IDE or SATA.

an LG DVD that is SATA

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...ATA+black+bare+inc+SecurDisc+?productId=30468

An LG DVD that is IDE

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/LG+GH22NP20+22x+DVDRW+Black+OEM?productId=33832

both will read/write CD and DVD, will simply be an issue of opening the PC case, removing two cables from the back of the DVD drive you have, inserting new DVD drive and reattaching cables.

Or you will have to open the side of the case unplug it, then remove the dvd from the front of the case or even pull the front of the case off, but its all pretty easy and we can tackle that when we get to it.

Hope this has helped and any more questions please feel free to ask, everyone is real freindly and helpful here, if not a bit sarcastic sometimes :lol:

Ask a Question